This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

55 Cub point gap and timing question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

55 Cub point gap and timing question

Postby John Niekamp » Tue May 18, 2004 11:40 pm

I have looked and can not find what the point gap should be on my LoBoy.

I have a 6 volt distrubitor, I'm thinking the points should bwe around .020"

I got the engine running tonight, BUT just doesn't sound quite right yet. I timed it by ear to where it doesn't kick back on the starter. If I were to use a timing light, what notch should I be using on the pulley, the first or the second notch?

I also noticed that the engine flutters. meaning that the govonor jumps back and forth and adjusting the air mixture screw on the carb didn't seem to help out much. I rebuilt the carb and installed an new kit. I have been told that these carbs. can be a little touchy. Are there any tricks that I need to try first? Everything is new on the ignition and the carb.

Thanks, John Niekamp

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

David C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47141
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub, 1970 135 Massey Ferguson, 1970 175 Massey Ferguson, 1964 Cub Cadet Model 70. 1977 Farmall 140 (Granpa's)

Postby David C » Wed May 19, 2004 7:28 am

If you have a coil type distributor the gap gap should be .020 and the mag type is set at .013 ..... have you tried Rudi's web page for the other problems? here is the link for the govenor adjustments it worked GREAT for "Putt-Putt"

David C.
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Lurker%20Carl's%20Cub%20Carb%20Fixes/index.html
I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands

Return to “Farmall Cub”