This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lighting problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jsherman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Lighting problem

Postby jsherman » Tue May 18, 2004 1:00 pm

:( :(

I am having troubles with my light(s) on my 54 Cub, I do not have the front lights hooked up but I do have the rear light hooked up, when I turn the light switch on I get less than 1 volt going to the light so needles to say it does not work. I have full voltage going into the switch from the fuse but ONLY when the switch is off, when it's turned on that voltage also drops. What the heck is going on? The light works fine when I jump to it with - side of the battery so I know it's fine. All of the wires are new and have been checked so I know they are fine. Any thoughts?? I'm stumped.

Thanks,
Jim
1954 Cub, 1939 Cat D-2, Dozens of old hit & miss engines, and not nearly enough time........

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

lights

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue May 18, 2004 2:50 pm

Jim, I suspect you have a bad connection to ground, somewhere in the circuit. The connection may be corroded or there could be too much paint. If this is not the case, then I would check continuity across the switch terminals.......Bill V.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Tue May 18, 2004 3:27 pm

by jumping the - to the light directly, you have proved that the light AND the +ground is good. if the voltage at the FUSE side of the switch is dropping to 1 volt when you turn on the light switch, then the FUSE holder or connection at the fuse side of the switch is corroded. this is causing no current to pass to the light.

try this, connect the battery - directly to the fuse side of the light switch, assuming you have inspected the wire for shorts to the light. turn on the switch. if it works normally, the fuse holder connections are to blame or the connection to the starter switch.

hope this helps
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall Cub”