This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator overflow tube 49 CUB

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dirtbiker
10+ Years
10+ Years

Radiator overflow tube 49 CUB

Postby dirtbiker » Sat May 15, 2004 3:31 pm

The radiator overflow is missing on my tractor.
What is it made of?
Where can I buy one?
Is it suppose to be brazed on?
Does anyone have a picture to show how it is routed?
Into the restoration product on a 49 Cub.
Thanks
Mike
Edwardsville IL

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat May 15, 2004 3:56 pm

Dirtbiker:

First welcome to the forum and the Cub family :)

Please read the sticky note at the top of the forum, it is for new members and guests and provides a wealth of information.

One of the tidbits is the Cub Manual Server. Click the link below in the signature line and it will take you to a whole world of manuals.

Suggest you have a look at the TC-37F Parts Manual as well as the GSS-1411 Service Manual. The answer to your question will be found within the pages of those manuals.

I would also suggest that you go to Binder Books and order the Owners Manual, TC-37F Parts Manual and the GSS-1411 Service Manual. These are indispensable to the Cub Owner.

In the meantime, please use the manuals on the server :)

Again, welcome to the forum and the Cub family, we are pleased to have you aboard :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat May 15, 2004 4:23 pm

dirtbiker,

The tube is made of brass and is soft soldered to the radiator in several places at the top. It is routed down the right side of the radiator and there's a bracket at the bottom that secures the bottom of the tube.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sun May 16, 2004 6:49 pm

Donny or others..... Has anyone ever installed a tank on the overflow tube like they have on cars?? I thought about doing this due to the normal coolant level about 2" below the cap, but hesitate in fear of messing with the thermosiphoning system. I know to leave well enough alone, but just thought I'd ask ..... and what are your thoughts on this.
Ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun May 16, 2004 8:01 pm

Ron, I tried it once. It kept running a cycle of pushing coolant into the tank and then sucking it back in while I was mowing. When I finished mowing and shut down I could hear a boiling sound coming from the engine. I took the tank off and threw it away.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Mon May 17, 2004 7:04 am

Thanks John. I guess it does interfere with the cooling cycle. I'll let it be as it was intended........
Ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Radiator overflow tube 49 CUB

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 17, 2004 8:07 am

dirtbiker wrote:The radiator overflow is missing on my tractor.
What is it made of?
Mike
Edwardsville IL
It wouldn't be exactly original, but the later replacements had a hose (clear plastic?) that slipped over a stub on the neck.

If it's not a job you want to tackle yourself, any radaitor shop should be able to install a replacement tube of soft copper without removing the radiator from the tractor.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon May 17, 2004 6:00 pm

Ron L wrote:
Thanks John. I guess it does interfere with the cooling cycle. I'll let it be as it was intended........

Sometimes we think just because these tractor are so called "OLD" they didn't work well. The designs of these old things are very soild and in most cases work very well. Remember the old saying "KISS". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dirtbiker
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dirtbiker » Mon May 17, 2004 9:35 pm

Thank you all for the help on the radiator overflow tube question.
And thanks to the moderator for pointing to all the other resources available at this site. The 49 was my dad's tractor. He had a dream to get the International line: Cub, A, B, C, H and M and restore them. I remember at one point as a young man he had them all in various unfixed state. When he retired and moved to NC, I bought the little plot and got the Cub in the purchase. That was in 1988. Since then it has pulled logs from the woods for firewood and pulled the wagon for the annual hayride. The Cub attracts attention from the young and old.
As it goes, a friend is going through a horrible divorce and is desparate for cash since the soon to be ex is taken most of his paycheck. He is a diesel mechanic so in a kinda charity deal I hired him to work on the Cub.
So we have 3 winnings: He gets to hang with me drink beer and fix the tractor, I get to hang out in the garage and learn about the tractor. In the end I should have a shining 49 cub.

Return to “Farmall Cub”