This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Question Regarding Radiator Replacement

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom CA Cub '49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Question Regarding Radiator Replacement

Postby Tom CA Cub '49 » Sat May 08, 2004 1:26 pm

I am in the process of replacing the radiator on my 1949 cub with one that I bought a couple of years ago from TM Tractor Parts. I have been spending some time cleaning up the tractor since I had it torn down so much. I have cleaned and primed the new radiator and am getting ready to put the final coat of IH red paint on it this weekend.

This morning I ordered a new gasket for the bottom the radiator and I was wondering ... should I put any gasket sealer on the gasket when I install the radiator? If so, what should I use?

I asked the dealer what the gasket was made of when I ordered it and he said he did not know but that it was not made out of cork. I am guessing it is made out of some synthetic material.

Any advice would be appreciated. :D

Tom

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sat May 08, 2004 2:06 pm

I replaced my recored rad two weeks ago. I bought gasket material from a local dealer and made the pattern myself instead of one already made.YOU can use various thickness,mine is about the thickness of the cardboard of a cigerrete package and almost the same material.When I did the final tightening of the bolts I started from the center of the rad and worked outwards. No leaks after and hou of running. :lol:

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat May 08, 2004 2:14 pm

I had to replace the radiator on both of my cubs and will soon be putting the radiator back on John's Missy. I have never used a gasket sealer but, I have used 3M glue to help hold gaskets in place so they don't move/slip during the installation. Just make sure the surface of the steering gear/radiator housing is good and clean and you shouldn't have any problems.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Sat May 08, 2004 2:35 pm

Did mine too not too long ago- used the IH gasket, made sure everything was very clean, tighting the bolts from the center out and no problems since. And I think mine was cork but I could be wrong. I try to avoid gasket sealer unless it is really necessary. Also, before I put it all back together I took a garden hose and flushed out the block. A lot of rust and grit came out and I just kept flushing, changing the angle of the hose around as best as I could, until no more peices came out.
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,
while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 08, 2004 2:41 pm

It probably isn't necessary, but when I redid my 48 about 16 years ago, I used a thin layer of Permatex silicone gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket, since I had been warned that they sometimes were difficult to seal. No leaks yet, but as I said, it may not have been needed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Sun May 09, 2004 6:14 pm

I'm going to add an observation gleaned from dis-assembling a few hundred tractors, gaskets with silicone on them peel right off when the parts are taken apart, gaskets with nothing on them stick hard to the metal with pieces of gasket on both parts. I don't use any kind of sealer. :D
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun May 09, 2004 8:47 pm

parts man wrote:I'm going to add an observation gleaned from dis-assembling a few hundred tractors, gaskets with silicone on them peel right off when the parts are taken apart, gaskets with nothing on them stick hard to the metal with pieces of gasket on both parts. I don't use any kind of sealer. :D

Sounds like using the silicone would be the wise thing to do as far as removing old gaskets on the next tear-down. I used High-Temp silicone Permatex gasket-maker along with the old gaskets on the final pans and have had no leakage problems.
Then came Bronson

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon May 10, 2004 2:53 pm

I'll chime in on this,

I made my gasket out of .13" cork. Used an exacto knife to cut the OD and ID then I used a piece of brass tubing to punch the holes. Bud's idea of using some adhesive is good as it took me a while to align all the bolts. I thightened all the bolts from the inside out. No leaks what so ever with the radiator filled with a 50-50 mix of anti freeze.

Don't just fill it with water to check for leaks as glycol (antifreeze) will find holes water won't.

Return to “Farmall Cub”