This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Look at that Cub! It is ELECTRIC!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Look at that Cub! It is ELECTRIC!

Postby drspiff » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:51 pm

No, I'm not talking about a dazzling paint job, or one of George Willer's creations. I mean an electric Cub. As in solar powered...

What will they think of next?

Rick (mining the treasures of the net) Dulas

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tomten farm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02536

Postby tomten farm » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:39 pm

Looks like a gas motor to me.

what was the web reference?

joe
At night, when all is quiet around the farm -- that's when the Tomten wakes up. He is the one who looks after everything while the farmer and his family are sleeping.

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:42 pm

Cool.......Next - Hydrogen..... Then we would say we went green? Nah never green :lol:
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:48 pm

RedNed wrote:Cool.......Next - Hydrogen..... Then we would say we went green? Nah never green :lol:

Green or not hydrogen as a fuel is a step backward and a farce! Same with the (pretend) solar Cub. It needs another 1/2 acre of collectors. :(

That conversion is like mine... just for novelty and not to be taken seriously.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:55 pm

Looks to me like it might be for-real :shock:
Weight: 2400 pounds including driver, on-board solar array, and 1000-pound battery pack.

Gearing and Drive Train: The solar-powered Cub uses a 1.6:1 tooth-belt drive from an Advanced K-91 motor driving through the 1:1 PTO shaft. The clutch to the gasoline motor is blocked out unless needed to rotate the hydraulic pump. A hydraulic disk brake on the input shaft eliminates the dangerous braking problem common to free-wheeling electric drive vehicles.

Recharging: The Cub needs about 20 Amps (2.5 Hp) to power itself in soft ground. This makes the 5 Amp solar input significant enough to justify the on-board, four-panel array. This is especially true if the Cub is used for light, sporadic work, to charge other vehicles, or supplement residential PV systems.

Work Capacity: The Cub will provide up to 5 Hp for light 12" plowing or pulling a six-foot, double harrow in previously tilled areas. The total power requirement of 7.5 Hp is a drain of 5Kw or 55 Amps. The battery pack will provide this power for over three hours or enough to plow ½ acre or harrow a smooth one acre.

Rick

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:11 pm

Rick(billyandmillie) wrote:Looks to me like it might be for-real :shock:
Weight: 2400 pounds including driver, on-board solar array, and 1000-pound battery pack.

Gearing and Drive Train: The solar-powered Cub uses a 1.6:1 tooth-belt drive from an Advanced K-91 motor driving through the 1:1 PTO shaft. The clutch to the gasoline motor is blocked out unless needed to rotate the hydraulic pump. A hydraulic disk brake on the input shaft eliminates the dangerous braking problem common to free-wheeling electric drive vehicles.

Recharging: The Cub needs about 20 Amps (2.5 Hp) to power itself in soft ground. This makes the 5 Amp solar input significant enough to justify the on-board, four-panel array. This is especially true if the Cub is used for light, sporadic work, to charge other vehicles, or supplement residential PV systems.

Work Capacity: The Cub will provide up to 5 Hp for light 12" plowing or pulling a six-foot, double harrow in previously tilled areas. The total power requirement of 7.5 Hp is a drain of 5Kw or 55 Amps. The battery pack will provide this power for over three hours or enough to plow ½ acre or harrow a smooth one acre.

Rick

It would take watching that thing plow the claimed 1/2 acre to a useful depth at CubFest 2008 to make me a believer. Maybe with another 1/2 ton of batteries it could plow a whole acre? :P

It's a real novelty.
George Willer

dirt devil
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 04461
Skype Name: dirtdevil919
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1963 Farmall Cub
1965 IH Cub Lo Boy
1964 Cub Cadet 100
1967 Cub Cadet 123

Postby dirt devil » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:43 pm

A couple months ago there was a special tractor on the news headlines and this was it. I believe he had a sickle mower on it and pulling a hay wagon. It was neat listening to the little whine form it. I agree with George in that I would like to see it plow an acre of ground. Then maybe I would think about it.

Dave
Dave

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:36 pm

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/end_of ... nergy.html

Also featured in Mother Earth News several years past.

This article and topic has been on this board several times.

There is also a video of the same tractor pulling a hay rake.

My opinion hasn't changed. Not economically feasible. Not even close to being realistically practical.
I have an excuse. CRS.

scotlem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02852

Postby scotlem » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:41 pm

hey if anything else it will keep you dry when its raining

jimbaker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77984
eBay ID: Waco1928
Tractors Owned: 2 Farmall Cubs
SN 42113 (1948)
SN 93258 (1949)
Kubota LA5740 (cab)
Ford 3000

Postby jimbaker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Here is a link to electric Allis Chalmers Model G's http://www.flyingbeet.com/electricg/parts.html
Looked pretty neat, I posted the parts list, but if you click back to home page on that link, there is a lot more info

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:48 pm

Eugene wrote:http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/end_of_fossil_energy.html

Also featured in Mother Earth News several years past.

This article and topic has been on this board several times.

There is also a video of the same tractor pulling a hay rake.

My opinion hasn't changed. Not economically feasible. Not even close to being realistically practical.

There's a big problem for some time in the future when our decendents will wish we hadn't been wreckless with and squandering what should have been raw materials. The problem is that the greenies are promoting solutions that can never be solutions and steering the masses away from accepting the only true solution.. nuclear. They'd rather promote pie-in-the-sky things like hydrogen which can NEVER be a true source of energy. It always will require more energy to make than it can produce but the masses aren't aware of that. :( It's like looking for a break-through for perpetual motion, committed to the proposition that it's possible.

Wind and solar? Sure they work if you ignore the vast amount of energy required to build and maintain the systems.

Bah! Humbug!

(does anyone else look at that solar tractor and see a two seater? ) I'm guessing the half ton of batteries are mounted on the left side.

PS, I've read a number of articles about this solar Low-Boy.
George Willer

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:10 pm

George Willer wrote:It always will require more energy to make than it can produce

I think that's true of all sources of energy that we use. Gasoline takes a bunch of energy to produce and transport as well. Its just a question of diminishing returns. When does the cost of extraction + cost of transport (which will rise with the cost of extraction) + cost of refinement + cost of distribution + profit become greater than the cost to establish new markets/improve alternate technology? Solar and wind I think are viable alternatives for most energy uses, but not as mass alternatives right now. Sure there's upkeep/installation costs, but eventually they will be lower than what the public is willing to pay for fossil fuels.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:13 pm

I seen this one on TV also. I remember they mentioned that it was not practical at this time to try and do any farming with it because the charge in the batteries will not last long enough.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

JimT wrote:I seen this one on TV also. I remember they mentioned that it was not practical at this time to try and do any farming with it because the charge in the batteries will not last long enough.

Basic physics and economics rule!
George Willer

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:39 pm

I, for one, have a slightly different outlook about this cub. Sure there may be those who criticize and laugh, but I give the guy credit for at least trying. Now we have some idea of what the project results are. I still remember a couple items I built that had all kinds of negitive feedback, the backhoe for one. There were those who said the finals would break in short order, and those who said the cub engine wouldn't have enough power to do squat. I have another project in the works that many will have negitive comments about, again, and that's ok. At least we'll know if it works or not :D :D and I have fun in the process :wink:

I applaud John Howe for making it :D :D :D

Rick

Return to “Farmall Cub”