This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Model 70 - Engine Runs but won't move....

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sdehaven4
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub Model 70 - Engine Runs but won't move....

Postby sdehaven4 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:26 pm

All -

Thanks in advance for any help on my questions. I have a 1964 Model 70 that belonged to my Father. Since buying a house with 1.5 acres, my Father gave me his enitre arsenal of lawn equipment!

The engine runs great and it was overhauled/restored about 10 years by some prisoners at the State Pen where my brother taught woodshop. (That's another story) It hasn't been run in years and we got the engine started and working well. However, when I put it in gear, the tractor moves but then comes to a stop. When I depress the brake, it "engages" and moves forward - but only with the brake half depressed.

Although I haven't really been able to dig into the problem, I woudl say know enough to get myself in trouble. Where should I start?
Thank you -

Sean D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:12 pm

This isn't meant to sound like a smart aleck (even though I am one), but my starting point would be to go to http://www.binderbooks.com and order a manual.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

sdehaven4
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sdehaven4 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:15 pm

No problem. Already going in that direction and they are on order. However the grass is starting to get high!
Thank you -

Sean D

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:19 pm

It sounds like the belts may be stretched or the idler is hanging up keeping the belt from tightening.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:28 pm

It could also be that the belt is routed wrong. Could be on the wrong side of the idler.
Then came Bronson

sdehaven4
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sdehaven4 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:24 pm

All -

Thanks for the input. I tore into the problem this evening and while the belts need replacing, they aren't driving the driveshaft - which seems to be the problem. Engine runs great, tractor starts to move, then willl lose power as if the driveshaft has dis-engaged. Applying the brake seems to get in going again.

Once I get my manuals in the mail, I will see what they have to say. I am thinking that something has gone wrong with the clutch assembly/driveshaft. (Perhaps it was the mouse nest that I found below the battery and underneath the seat - Nice).

Also - knowing the service record of this tractor, I would bet the fluids in this thing haven't been changed in years. Probably needs a good tune-up as well.

Anyone with experience in DriveShaft/Clutch work on a Model 70 please respond.
Regards,
Thank you -

Sean D

Dave Hull
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38506
Tractors Owned: Cub demo

Clutch or Driveshaft

Postby Dave Hull » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:43 am

No belts in the drive train, I agree. I would check the clutch and see if the drive pins(3) are there that spin the shaft, If that is okay move on to the spiral pin that couples the drive shaft to the input shaft at the tranny. In fact, check all the pins in the drive shaft. Should be four of them.

Dave

Scott C
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scott C » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:47 pm

What Dave said, no belts in the numbered cub cadets.
You might want to check the clutch plate and bearing, sometimes the bearing will waller out the hole in the bracket it sits in. Good thing is, parts are still available, new or used.

You might not have the creeper but the idea is the same.
70/100

Return to “Cub Cadet”