This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering Woe's

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering Woe's

Postby Donny M » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:06 am

The steering arms on 49-1 are welded to the knuckels. I'm wondering if I should grind off the weld and fix them correctly or clean up the welds (poor welding) and leave them for the time being?

I can re-weld them and make them look good but... :roll:

All the bushings seem to be ok but it sure looks like :evil:

I'm leaning toward fixing them but, right now I need a little push.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:50 am

Donny, One of my parts tractors and one of my future project tractors have the arms welded to the knuckles. In fact, the weld on one of them is broken already. I have no intention of re-welding them. They will be ground down and fixed correctly when that tractor is worked on.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:36 am

Donny:

I have absolutely no experience to state this, but here goes anyways. It is my intention that all parts on Jethro will be restored to original condition, ie - the way it was designed to be. No weld jobs, no half measures. I am only going to rebuild him once - so it is going to be the right way.

I would therefore recommend that you fix it right! I think you will probably be happier.

Oh, looks like I might actually get him split this week!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:48 pm

If it's the old style using the set screw that fits into the cone shaped hole in the spindle when you grind off the weld and disassemble it you might find that it is welded because the previous owner let the screw get loose and it wallowed out the hole in the spindle so bad set screws could no longer be tightened enough to hold. Repairing a wallowed out hole would probably be an expensive job.

Of course you could always weld it back at that point if you wanted.

P.S. Set screws aren't cheap either.

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:19 pm

Donny I save this from either here or the other broad don't remember who the author was but it sounded like a good fix. :D but I have never tried it :oops:

From other posts and talking to other Cub owners at various shows I know that the steering arm becoming loose on the early Cubs is a problem. The coarse thread bolts are not available.
I solved my problem by removing the arm and spindle from the tractor. I mounted the spindle in a vise, installed the steering arm and drilled a 7/16th hole completely through the arm and spindle. I removed the arm and installed a 7/16 - 14 helicoil in the back side of the arm. I then took a hack-saw and cut a slot in the back of the arm (90o from the drilled hole). After installing the spindle in the tractor I used a 2 1/2 inch long bolt with nut run up to head to secure the arm. It still looks like the original setup.
Hope this helps others. It was cheaper than buying late model spindles

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:34 pm

This is what they looked like this afternoon:

And the grinding and a good file:

Now good news and bad news. The reason they were welded is because the knuckels have the hole for the large set screw and no key way. The steering arms themselves are the pinch bolt type with the key way. I can cut a key way in the knuckles and that should fix things. I think that the key way is in line with the hub but the parts manual isn't clear. Could someone confirm this :?: :?: :?:

The good news is that the axle came apart without much effort :D :D I was dreading pressing those apart but I got very lucky. The KROIL must have done the trick. :D :D :D

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:36 pm

Looks like you are making progress on it. So you like the kroil-oil huh!!?. I have been looking for that Solvo-Rust stuff that Rudi said was great stuff but haven`t found any in town yet. Looking at your bottom picture I thought you were cooking a barbeque but then I seen at closer look that it is a sand-pot. :roll:
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:36 am

Donny:

Ya know, sometimes I really need to read a post 3 or 4 times to figure out exactly what people are saying. I have just reread it again for the umpteenth time and figured out what was going on. Then I saw this last post of yours and like Duhhhhhh! Geez sometimes I think I need a new brain cause this one is toast....

I have 2 count em! 2 front axle assemblies. One if basically perfect. The other one however has seen a jack-ss with a stick welder trying to fix something he should have got parts for.

You however, have achieved much more than I have. It is at the point where I am going to leave the welded arms to the knuckles alone. I have tried to loosen up one and not a chance. Good thing they are only for my wagon otherwise I would be looking for a new spindle!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”