This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

6 Volt Battery Charging??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
OldSalt
10+ Years
10+ Years

6 Volt Battery Charging??

Postby OldSalt » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:25 pm

Is it acceptable to re-charge a 6 Volt Positive battery in a tractor simply by hooking the charger up to the Frame(+) and the Starter(-) without damaging anything??? :idea: ???
"Attitude is everything"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:29 pm

:?: I dont know the answer to your question but I always hook my charger leads directly to the battery posts.
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:29 pm

Yes, the charger polarity always matches the battery polarity regardless of which post is ground. Plus to plus, minus to minus.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

David D. smith
10+ Years
10+ Years

charging

Postby David D. smith » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:01 pm

Do not connect directly to the starter lead. That will cause the charger to try and act like a battery and spin the starter. If it is a big enough charger it will spin the starter. If not, and left on you will burn out the charger or starter. You can connect to the battery side of the solinoid (starter switch) and it will feed the battery. Remember positive (+) to positive and negative (-) to negative.
Dave <*)))><

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:06 pm

On the 6 volt system with no solenoid, the terminal post at the starter is not in contact with the starter until the rod is pulled. There is voltage at that terminal at all times so connecting the charger to that point will not be any different than connecting it to the battery.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

David D. smith
10+ Years
10+ Years

Charging

Postby David D. smith » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:38 pm

Yes, You are right about that. I had forgotten that they used that old system on these cubs. My nieghbor just recently hooked his Ford to the wrong side of the solinoid and let all the smoke out of his charge. He said he got a little spark and thought that was because it was charging the battery.
Dave <*)))><

Return to “Farmall Cub”