This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Under cover of darkness…

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Under cover of darkness…

Postby Chris Jones » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:13 pm

Under cover of darkness… Over weight with poorly secured loads… Running at speeds at times exceeding the legal limit. Two light duty trucks were seen relieving a local citizen of a reported late 50's model Cub. They were tailed for approximately 15 miles down two lane country roads before heading east on interstate 40 through Greensboro, NC. They finally eluded their tail after another 15 miles when they exiting the interstate in a rural area outside of Greensboro, NC.

The first vehicle was reported to by carrying the Cub with the tailgate wide open and only a small chain tying it down. The second, reported to be a small import pickup, was heavily loaded with what appeared to be scrap metal sticking out at all angles and an electric home air compressor on top. This truck is assumed to actually be hauling the turning plow, disc harrow, spike harrow and the two sets of cultivators that were also taken.

It is said a crew of 3, or possibly 4 people were involved and they reportedly used the air compressor and an impact wrench to remove the wheel weights and cultivators from the cub before loading it. A lady reportedly distracted the owner with a small piece of paper while 2 men made short work of dismantling and piling the equipment into the trucks before taking off into the night. The 4th person is a bit of a mystery. Reported to be a small in statue and very hairy, he stayed with the lead vehicle during the incident and might have been security in case their plan started to unravel.

Folks around here are already talking. Some folks say it was Smoky and the Bandit no longer able to afford diesel for their big rig. Other seeing only the second vehicle reported it was Sanford and Son. And what to make of the fourth person? One man who witnessed the event says it was Clyde because he heard the driver call out "Right turn Clyde" as the truck exited the interstate and disappeared.

Pictures would have been taken but as it was dark nothing would have turned out. This reporter thinks it is safe to say lock up your Cubs tonight folks cause this sure wasn't the Easter Bunny and nobody knows where they'll strike next.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:37 am

Just for the record - it wasn't me!!!!!

However, I'm very proud of you!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:05 am

Bigdog wrote:Just for the record - it wasn't me!!!!!

However, I'm very proud of you!
That's pretty obvious. with your experience you wouldn;t have needed any help. :D
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:42 pm

I was inspired by the tails being told of Bigdog's exploits.

Actually my father called me asking if I wanted to go look at a cub with him. At least now I know what to look for. No cracks on any of the castings as far as I can tell. Seems it was only used to cultivate and tow a trailer. Some of the front implement mounting holes on the final drives still have cork in them and all have great threads. It has battery ignition, under tractor exhaust and apparently the toggle style brakes. One brake peddle doesn't have any travel but works fine. Hydraulics and pto seem great. Engine is smooth and quiet and the transmission I envy as in all gears it is silent just driving around and when I load tested it by making it pull while I mash the brakes as hard as I can. Stearing has almost no play.

Bad things. I hate the paint job. spray cans with lots of overspray and some bubbling and he had touched up some recently but it was still tacky wet--just makes me sick--but looks great at a distance and my father doesn't give a hoot about paint. Wires look like a rats nest with splices etc but can you believe lights, charging etc work. Still I don't think they work in the right positions on the switch. The front axle extensions are loose and wheels move back and forward when going from forward to reverse--I know some of you wish you had that problem as I have heard about them being stuck.

It has 1 cultivator with 8 factory trip foot feet. The second set is really a home made replacement made from a horse drawn cultivator that clamps on in place of the front factory feet. The guy had never used the plow and hadn't heard of the adjusting lever--it was not there--nor was the stay chain and the point looks no better than mine which I had to weld a new tip on just to get it to go in the ground. The disk is a horse drawn unit w/o seat and is in pretty decent shape. The drag harrow is pretty rough. We also got lots of parts for the planter/fertilizer setup but I have no idea if it's all there. No chain at all and no hoppers.

I was nervious about hauling it home in my pickup. 4 miles I'll make do, but 30? Well I have to report with the wheel weights removed I had no problems. It handled the bumps etc w/o a trace of problems. I pulled it in thinking the front might be the heaviest end I steared to the far right of the bed again--that REALLY helps center the load. Only problem that slight angle ment the right rear tire stuck out 2 inches to far to close the tail gate which I'd intended to do this time. Having the tail gate on I couldn't get the large chain down and around the frame either and had to use a much smaller chain. My father followed and I generally did 5 mph under the speed limit--putting that in perspective most people are doing 10 to 15 over around here. Once on the interstate I noticed I was doing 57 in a 55. That was as fast as I went. My father carried the wheel weights implements and the air compessor we took with us in a big pile. My mom went to help load the disk as the fellow said he couldn't help us load--some injury he had. My dog was ridding shotgun with me.

It felt like one of those trucking movies from the 70's--dodging scales and smokies and although I wanted to have this done by dark it was cloudy and darkness came by the time I left his driveway.

Two other notes. First--the front axle was set with each extension out one hole and it still fit between the wheel wells--I hadn't expected it too. Second--I unloaded where the picture was taken in my earlier post and w/o the rear wheel weights it wouldn't back up the hill--darn it. My father moved the truck so I could drive it down the hill.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:53 pm

Chris, I think you've earned an apprenticeship! I'll have to show you the finer points of cub stealing....er......make that cub hauling.
Bigdog

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:08 pm

Chris:

I enjoyed reading your tall tale! Well written. Yup, BD has an apprentice now :roll: :wink: :!:
Glad you got the Cub and that you got it home safely. Enjoy it!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:40 pm

Bigdog, I look forward to learning more about covert Cub procurement from a recognized expert like you. I think if I'm going to go pro on this though I need a trailer.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:45 pm

Yes! And it must be a RED trailer!
Bigdog

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:14 pm

Chris, I very much enjoyed your tale!! Quite creative writing, my wife being a budding author, I recognise the time and imagination that takes!! :wink: :D
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:33 pm

Good story. Thanks.

I need to pick up more Cubs too. Do I need any special night vision glasses or low voltage flashlights? Has anyone tried Cub retreaval in broad daylight yet?

Mike

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:13 pm

Amateurs like me like need help and operate under cover of darkness. Bigdog, can you help him in a daylight operation?

Seriously for a moment--I hear more burglaries happen during the day as people are away at work. My neighbor kept his Ford 2N tractor a couple of miles down the road in a shed behind an unoccupied house (used to be occupied by a relative who moved to a nursing home) and it was stolen--presumably during the day. Someone nearby remembered hearing it run and of course assumed my neighbor was using it. It would take guts to operate in broad daylight but it makes sense if you can safely assume folks that might see you don't personally know the tractor or the owner. I mean who would think twice ridding down the road and seeing a tractor being loaded in daylight--you might look twice seeing one being loaded at 2:00AM.

Return to “Farmall Cub”