This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

LoBoy carbon type clutch throwout bearing question ?????

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

LoBoy carbon type clutch throwout bearing question ?????

Postby John Niekamp » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:12 pm

I went today to order a new clutch, pressure plate and throwout beraring for my 55 Loboy, much to my surprise (since mine was not in the tractor when I brought it home, I did not know what to expect) they came back with a carbon or ceramic type bearing in the throwout casting assembly. All I have was the cast iron housing, clutch disc and pressure plate. I just had a gut feeling there was something wrong with the whole clutch assembly, since they globbed up weld on the three fingers on the pressure plate, to make up somthing. There was no carbon left in the housing, so I could not go any further on my thoughts.

I know they used this idea, but is there a regular roller ball thrust bering that I can replace it with over this carbon thing? Plus they are asking 75 bucks for the original style.

If not a aftermarket bearing assembly, I am thinking of using the cast iron housing and modify it to accept a newer style thrust bearing. What I will using my tractor for, there will be a lot off stop/go and just can't this carbon style will hold up, I may be worng with this assumption, the original may work well, just as it did for years and years.

Anyput on this subject will be greatly appreciated. I am sure there are others here on the forum that have ran across this. Myself, I am brand new to the IH Cub series tractor.

Thanks, John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:40 am

There is a standard bearing replacement for the graphite original bearing. Bates Corp has one. You can also try J.P. Tractor Salvage. (http://www.jptractorsalvage.com) Jamie will fix you up with one.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:56 am

I have had a graphite bearing for the last 13 years and have no problems. I had a chance to look at it last summer when I changed the drive shaft and it showed little wear.

There is nothing wrong with the graphite unit - as long as your clutch is adjusted correctly - it should last as long as the clutch will.

Oscar
48 CUB & 52 Super A

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:26 am

As you said, they seem a little crude, but the originals do hold up well if everything is adjusted properly. The graphite bearings biggest enemy is a clutch rider (operator that always keeps his foot on the clutch). I did have a bad experience with using aftermarket graphite bearing (3 in 14 months), but when I got an original from Case/IH, everything was ok. It boils down to your preference. Some people have trouble with the graphites, and I've seen a few posts here and the ATIS board about people having trouble with the bearing type, so nothing is perfect. I have one work cub that has had the graphite bearing for about 6 years with no problem, but the one Cub-bud is doing for me is going to have the bearing type simply because I wanted to try one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”