This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gearbox question

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brucep
10+ Years
10+ Years

Gearbox question

Postby brucep » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:08 pm

Are the gearbox and gears inside the box of three speed transmission of a Cub Cadet the same as a farmall cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:46 pm

Pretty much the same, but second gear ratio may be different. Naturally, the input shafts are different.

I have a cadet gear case in one of my F-Cubs.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Mac McVey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17374
eBay ID: YEVCM

Postby Mac McVey » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:56 pm

Several months ago someone posted a picture, on the Cub forum, of an original Cub Cadet advertizement that showed a Cub Cadet and a Cub and if my memory serves me correctly IH made the statement in the ad that the Transmissions were identical in both tractors. I wish I could find that post.
'50 Super A, '58 Cub, 1 Original Cub Cadet, 1 Model 70 Cub Cadet, 2 Model 100 Cub Cadets, 1 Model 105 Cub Cadet, 1 Model 2185 Cub Cadet, 1 Model 1864, and 2 small green ones.

Scott C
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scott C » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:21 pm

Mac,
Here you are.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:33 pm

I don't have the gears handy to compare them, but I do believe the second gears are different until shown differently, notwithstanding the text by an advertising writer.

I did compare brake drums since I could lay my hands on one of each. I CAN say with certainty that the F-Cub drums fit on 1 1/2" shafts in the final drives, while the Cadet's single drum fits a 1" shaft ahead of the transmission. I would not claim that they are the same, as the ad writer did.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:40 pm

George, Cub Cadets used 16/36, 17/35, or 19/33 tooth second gears, depending on the the model, and I believe the Cub used 16/36 or 17/35, , tooth gears (and maybe others) depending on the serial number. The Cub Cadet in the picture is a so call Original, or first model, and it had a brake drum and band brake on the left rear axle, that was the same basic drum (different size hole for the axle) and brake band as the Cub , like the author stated. Beginning with the next model Cub Cadet (70/100) the brake became a wet brake in the gear reduction housing on the front of the transmission like you said. The transmission case is the same basic case, and the early Cub Cadets still had the "fill to" plug on the left side of the case even though the Cub Cadet required 7 pints of oil/Hy-Tran. They had thier own "fill to" on the right side of the gear reduction housing, and the owners manual reminded you not to use the one on the left side.

Scott C
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scott C » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:10 am

George,
Here are a couple of pictures from a member at the ihregistry site, one with the "Original" brake setup. Like Paul said, they only used this in one model, from 1961 through 1963. Good thing too, because, although it's a good brake, one wheel is kinda scary sometimes and you can just figure on goin' for a ride every now and then.

When I am at my buddies cabin and we're bringing stuff off the hill, he has a trailer ball on his original and if it has any weight in it we'll hook it to another tractor with a chain from behind, just in case.

Scott C
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scott C » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:32 am

Here's a bunch of other cool stuff for the Original.....
Note the brake rod under the operators left foot.
And the safety loafers......

Want to buy one? You can afford it......

Return to “Cub Cadet”