This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I'M TOO RICH

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

I'M TOO RICH

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:24 pm

My '49 is running rich. I'm getting a black deposit on the weather cap and black smoke at start up. After we get warmed up the smoking stops but the exhaust still smells too rich.

Carb rebuild?

I saw a NEW carb. go off on Ebay last week for over $170. Is this correct...seems too expensive ? ?

I still think I need one more Cub unless Bigdog has already bought them all up.

Thanks

Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Poor Combustion

Postby Bill V in Md » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:22 am

Mike,

The black soot is the result of poor combustion. A carb rebuild kit can't hurt, but I would also check ignition system for proper spark at the plugs and correct timing. Maybe a hotter plug (Champion D21) could help. Finally, check and clean the oil bath cleaner on the air intake, because this could be restricting air flow into carb.
I noticed that carb on ebay also. It was an original IH carb in pretty good condition. I guess if one is going for an original restoration, they are willing to pay the price. However, that is about what I paid for my snow plow.........Bill V
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:48 am

Here's my perspective on the money issue.

You could spend $100 on parts to rebuild a 50 year old carburetor - $45 for the IH kit, $20 to replace a leaking float, $15 to replace a broken idle tube, $8 for a Kohler float needle and cage, and the bucket of carb cleaner. That doesn't include your time and materials needed to straighten out the castings and repair the stripped threads and fix all the previous boo-boo's that someone else jury-rigged over the decades.

Go look at the $3000 plastic riding mower with a cup holder and canopy at Home Depot. A new carburetor for $170 seems like a pretty good deal.

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:01 am

I paid about $165 for my new carb and it's 'saved' me 100 times that in aggrevation already!

Return to “Farmall Cub”