This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Who's Working With Their Cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ran_in_VA
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ran_in_VA » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:52 am

Our Cub is a '50 bought second hand by my Dad in '54 with 193 plow, cultivators, disk harrow, sickle mower, dump rake, Prewitt post hole digger, wheel weights, and two-wheel trailer (for $1000) and worked pretty hard on and off since.

We use it to maintain the 7 acres that we have doing most of what you might expect--we got up a lot of loose hay with it until the '80's and Dad used the sickle mower until the late '80's.

No major repairs have been needed but a major refit was done in the Spring/ Summer of '03 after a long period of inactivity under a shed. I used it perhaps 100 hours last summer but their would be thousands of hours on the clock if it had one.

As we ramp up once again, the hours will increase and we'll work it pretty hard off and on.

No plans to retire it or parade it, only to pass it along to my sons.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Elmer Fields
10+ Years
10+ Years

Working Cubs.

Postby Elmer Fields » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:46 pm

I have 2 49's Iv'e had since 1964 and with one I mow Approximately 2 acres, the other is used mainly for snow removal and light grading. Both need some work but are still running fine.
Elmer.

badguygitr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Working Cub

Postby badguygitr » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:06 pm

My 53 Cub is for work and maybe just a little play! :D I use it to mow 13 acres, plow and disc my garden and food plots, haul firewood, pull my 16' trailer around the place and an occasional hay ride. Sometimes I just ride it to the neighbors instead of the 4 wheeler. I have a woods 42C belly mower, blade, disc plow, drag disc and am picking up two sickle mowers Thursday. :D :D :D
Badguygitr
Alma, Arkansas
53 Cub / 62 Cub / 2 Woods 42 mowers / disc plow / blade/ 2 sickle mower / drag disc

tractortommy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tractortommy » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:25 pm

Looking into the cub thing I found out that mine a 1947 was the no. 11 to come off the line the number on the right side number plate is 512 the serial number on the left side of the block is f-512 Cub, casting number 4-28 Q it runs great but looks like the grapes of rath got it in the shop and am doing the maintance that it hasent had for years this is not going to be a balls out rebuild but will be good enough for me to enjoy at any time I have been able to stick the crank in give it to turns on choke and its running lots of fun sometimes i drive it to town just for the heck of it and the fuel consuption is really low came with my place that I purchased 6 years ago used it every year around my place and really have the utmost respect for mechanical things as I am a retired boat mechanic boat racer and still get a kick out of making machines work as good as possible :!: :roll:

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:40 pm

Welcome to the board tractortommy. :) Man, you do have one of the first cubs built. You need to post a picture of it in all it's glory, before you start doing alot of repairs on it. Heck, it might even beat out George's Scruffy for the ugliest running cub honors. :P :lol:
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:56 am

tractortommy wrote:Looking into the cub thing I found out that mine a 1947 was the no. 11 to come off the line the number on the right side number plate is 512 the serial number on the left side of the block is f-512 Cub, casting number 4-28 Q it runs great but looks like the grapes of rath got it in the shop and am doing the maintance that it hasent had for years this is not going to be a balls out rebuild but will be good enough for me to enjoy at any time I have been able to stick the crank in give it to turns on choke and its running lots of fun sometimes i drive it to town just for the heck of it and the fuel consuption is really low came with my place that I purchased 6 years ago used it every year around my place and really have the utmost respect for mechanical things as I am a retired boat mechanic boat racer and still get a kick out of making machines work as good as possible :!: :roll:

Welcome aboard tractortommy! Wow! #12 cub! If it's in decent original condition, I'd make necessary repairs and keep it as-is.
How about some pictures?????
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Weav27
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Weav27 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:16 am

My '49 is the workhorse for the home and farm. Recently built a new place on the property so there is plenty of grading and landscaping to keep the ol horse busy. Add to that 2 acres in need of a yard in the next week or so plus the farm chores. Dad has a demonstrater that he is thinking about restoring for shows, but can't stand to quit working it so hard. Hopefully the new M can fill in a bit.
Working on tractors is a true test of one's ability to balance patience and temper.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:17 am

I second Bigdogs suggestion, if it isn't getting too rusty.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

tractortommy
10+ Years
10+ Years

in the shop

Postby tractortommy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:50 pm

Got 512 in the shop and completly tore down new grease seals and all the things to make it liquid tight was going to paint it and do a number on it but I might just put it back togeather like it is not leaking of course cant stand to have a leak of any kind looked into the motor and going to ring and valve it the bearings look like new couldnt belive after 57 years that the mains and rod bearings look so good there is some taper in the bore but rings will hold just fine is there any way to get a new rotor for the mag mine is really bad but works will take some pictures soon if I can figure how to post them and also dose anyone know of an eairler cub still out there and running :P :P

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:59 pm

Last I knew you could still get rotors from local dealers, or from http://www.cngco.com
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

tractortommy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tractortommy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:18 pm

512 is really rusty the only paint on it is the underside of the gas tank its all surface rust except on the battery box it dose have some minimal cancer the other metal is in good shape got all three lights and the armstrong power lift :lol:

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Re: in the shop

Postby Ron L » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:09 am

tractortommy wrote: is there any way to get a new rotor for the mag mine is really bad but works will take some pictures soon if I can figure how to post them :P :P

Tommy. John is right. If you have the rotor with the teeth on the lower portion (for J4 mag) then Carter & Gruenewald has them p/n 351692R91. Kind of pricey ($27), but if needed, worth to get. It would also be good to get the points & condensor set p/n 407018R91.

Yes! Post those pictures when you can............
Ron

tractortommy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tractortommy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:19 am

Thanks for the info on the rotor got the points and condenser at the local auto parts the rings and gasket set will be in this week and then ill start putting it back togeather

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:10 am

Well so far more than 85% of the tractors are workin'.

Cubs are eternal.

Thanks

Mike

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:23 am

No trailer queens at my place. They don't work hard, but they get used.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”