This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How To Make A Temporary or Pony Gas Tank

All fuel related How To’s can be found here
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:20 pm

I believe that there is always more than one way to skin a cat, so whilst Cecil and I had Granny's tank off, I decided that I would leave it off until I got the rest of the parts and such to finish her up. That necessitated fabricating some sort of temporary yet stable gas tank bracket.

Rick (Redman) Neuman has already come up with a really neat solution for his Yaller and White Cub in the How To Mount A Pony Tank, but it didn't apply to my situtation. Mostly cause I don't have access to the equipment or the experience that Rick has growing up with his Dad Elmer. So, I had to use the KISS principle and stick with what I had. What follows is my feeble attempt at coming close to Rick's neat project.

While this is not the most elegant solution, it did utilize a tank that I had laying around, some flat and some angle iron stock that I had on hand. I also utilized some salvaged parts from Granny's Fuel Line that was on the MS Carb.

This is the type of gas tank that I had available:
    ]
    rudi-Tecumseh%20Gas%20Tank-01.jpg

Which is a Tecumseh Fuel Tank 34156A usually found on Sno-King Engines. They normally mount via two low root style screws through a bracket into the plastic tank. The easiest way to mount the tank was to create a new mounting bracket that would use a similar mounting procedure.

Bill of Materials:
    1. 1 ea - Tecumseh # 34156A Gas Tank or equivalent.
    2. 1 ea - 1-1/2"x 3/26" x 16-1/2" Flat Bar Stock
    3. 1 ea - 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" x 1-3/8" Angle Iron
    4. 1 ea - 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" x 10-1/2" Angle Iron
    5. 3 ea - 1/4" - 20 NC x 3/4" Bolts
    6. 3 ea - 1/4" - 20 NC Hex Nuts
    7. 3 ea - 5/16" Lock Washers
    8. 1 ea - 5/8" - 11 NC x 1" Bolt
    9. 3 ea - 1/2" Hose Clamps
    10. 1 ea - 1/2" Gas Line Clamp
    11. 1 ea - 3/8" Brass Ball Valve
    12. 1 ea - 1/2"- 20 NC to 3/8" NPT Brass Fitting
    13. 3 ea - 3/8" NPT Male Hose Barbs
    14. 20" - 5/16" Rubber Gas Line
    Method:
    • Cut the Bar Stock and the Angle Iron to size.
    • Drill 3 5/16" holes in the 3/16" x 1-1/2" x 16-1/2" Bar Stock. One hole to be approximately 4" from the lower edge of the Bar Stock and inset from the left hand edge approximately 1/2". (This is the hole that the 1-3/8" piece of 1-1/4" angle iron will be bolted to to accept the Ball Valve). Two holes will be approximately 5/8" down from the top edge and approximately 1/2" in from each side edge of the 3/16" Bar Stock. (this will be to mount the 10-1/2" piece of 1-1/4" angle iron to mount the gas tank). (see pics below)
    • Next drill 2 5/16" holes approximately 1/2" in from the leading edge of the 1-1/4" Angle Iron stock so that the center holes of the gas tank will be centered and spaced accordingly. In this case 3/4" and 5-3/4" from the right hand edge of the Angle Iron. (see pics below)
    • Approximately 1-1/2" from the lower edge of the Bar Stock and centreed drill a 9/16" hole. (this will be for the 5/8"-11 NC bolt).
    • Drill a 5/16" Dia. hole centered on one leg of the 1-3/8" piece of Angle Iron, and on the next leg, drill a 1/2" Dia. hole centered.
    • Assemble the angle 10-1/2" piece of angle iron and the Bar Stock and Gas Tank as seen below.
      rudi-Tank%20Bracket-03.jpg

• Assemble the 1-3/8" piece of Angle Iron to the Bar Stock as pictured in this next photo. Remember the 1/2" Dia hole is to mount the Ball Valve assembly.
    • Mount the whole assembly to the mounting pad as shown.
      [img]
      rudi-Gas%20Line-01.jpg

• Assemble the Brass Ball Valve assembly as shown.
    • Use the Yellow Fuel Quality Teflon Tape on all the threads in the fitting assembly. Also, ensure that the Teflon Tape does not extend over the tapered edge as this will cause fuel problems in the carb either at the Inlet Screen or at the Idle Tube.
    • The 3/8" NPT threaded Barb is used to mount the Ball Valve Assembly to the Angle Iron bracket.
    • Measure, cut and install - approximately 11" of 5/16" Rubber Gas Line and connect to the barb at the tank and the 3/8" brass barb fitting at the bracket secured at each end 1/2" Hose Clamps.
      rudi-Gas%20Line-02.jpg

rudi-Gas%20Line-03.jpg
    • If your Carburetor Inlet is 1/2"-20 NC as it should be, assemble the 1/2"-20 NC to 3/8" Threaded Hose Barb using Yellow Fuel Quality Teflon Tape as above.
    • Measure, cut and install approximately 8" of 5/16" Rubber Gas Line between the Ball Valve Assembly and the Carburetor Inlet securing with 1 1/2" Hose Clamp at the Ball Valve Assembly and 1 1/2" Gas Line Clamp at the Carb Inlet Barb Assembly.
    • If your Carb Inlet like mine is not exactly as it should be, use the 3/8" NPT fitting without the 1/2" - 20 NC adapter, until your Inlet is repaired.
      rudi-Gas%20Line-06.jpg

rudi-Granny%20With%20IH%20UpDraft%20Carb.jpg

• Enjoy playing with your Cub until the Hood is back on :big smile:
Last edited by Barnyard on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Missing Images
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Fuel”