This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Attn: All Machinist

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Peter Reynolds
10+ Years
10+ Years

Attn: All Machinist

Postby Peter Reynolds » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:04 pm

Greeting all, I am in my finall stages of completing my cub, in order to get it running, i just need to install my magneto and carb... Only problem is, the carb is giving me a real hassel.. After a long battle with the screws that hold the throttle and choke plates on, I finally got em off though they are now rendered useless. I sorta bent the upper half of the carb while exerting exreme pressure on those screws, but now worries, I got it all leveled out again with a few small C-Clamps. Now, my only finall problem is - the top of the carb, i guess this could be called the manifold mouting flange, is warped about a 16 of an inch - maybe a fuzz more. I can't seem to get a good hold on it with my trusty C-Clamp method, and was wondering if this surface could be machined on a mill or bench grinder without interfering with the action of the trottle plate. I probably wouldn't want to take more than a 16 of an inch or so off. Perhaps I could just take it over to the bench grinder and hold the surface purpendicular to the side of the wheel briefly enough to true it up?? I figure if I have to take much metal off, I can just double up two carb-to-manifold gaskets??
I read the last post about carb warpage, but it dealt with the other surface of the carb it seems... Sorry about beating this dead horse topic one more time, but I had to ask.
Peter Reynolds

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:25 pm

Peter. 1/16th of an inch seems like a lot. Make sure you can't align it closer. It should be fairly flat so air won't be sucked in at that point past the gasket. As far as machining, it would be a good idea, but George Willer would be able to tell you if .062 is too much and if doing it by hand and it not being perfectly square from original would matter.......
Ron

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:28 pm

Peter,

I resurfaced the manifold face of 1 of my carbs on a surface plate with some #220 paper. Use a figure 8 pattern to help keep things flat and even.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:29 pm

Peter,

I'm no machinist, but I play one on the internet. :lol: There are a number of ways to fix the problem, but here's maybe the most practical for you...

Tape a sheet of wet or dry paper to a sheet of glass and work the part on it in random figure eight patterns. You should end up with a nearly perfect flat surface. The best part... you will have done it yourself!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:35 pm

I use a flat file to even mine up.

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:30 pm

I had one so warped (major Cub carb problem) that I put JB weld on it to build it up and then brought it back down like George mentioned.
Has worked great for a couple of years.
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Peter Reynolds
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Peter Reynolds » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:43 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys, I taped some sand paper to a sheet of glass then rubbed that warpage right out of it.. I started out with a flat file, but the sandpaper worked much faster to my suprise. It took a good 15 minutes of the glass and sandpaper method to get it down.. Looks really nice now, and while I was at it - I took the bottom half of the carb and shaped it up too.. You can really see where you remove the warpage when there are spots of shiny metal and of the drity rough metal... This carb iis really going to do well when I get it back on.. I guess 50 years of heat will warp the aluminum pretty bad. Thanks for the tips - problem solved.

Peter Reynolds

1949 cub... (When I get this thing going, I am gonna call it "Weldy" on account of all the places this thing has been welded back together by all the farmers over the last 50 years)

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:43 am

Peter Reynolds wrote: You can really see where you remove the warpage when there are spots of shiny metal and of the drity rough metal...

Peter. In the future you can refer to this as "removing the high spots", as we call it in the trade.........
Ron

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:51 am

just as an aside. the surface plate / glass method of resurfacing is used to correct heads on any of your small engines, Kohler, Briggs, etc. while rebuilding. the high heat in that area make it a must do if you remove the head for any reason.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:11 am

artc wrote:just as an aside. the surface plate / glass method of resurfacing is used to correct heads on any of your small engines, Kohler, Briggs, etc. while rebuilding. the high heat in that area make it a must do if you remove the head for any reason.

Sounds like a good idea for small engine heads but where do you get a sheet of sandpaper big enough to make a figure-8 pattern with a head :?: .
Then came Bronson

Cub-Hoser
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cub-Hoser » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:31 pm

For what it's worth guy's, I had a piece of flat steel that i had surfaced down to a flat surface, you can get the steel most any size to accomadate any size head or carburator, and then i use lapping compound to surface what ever i have. Here is a question for any-one to help me with, How the heck do i get them there little message bodys over to my message box? I have tried everything. Cub-Hoser

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:27 pm

If you are talking about these little guys :wink: , just include one 8) as you type your message by simply moving you pointer over to the desired icon :) and left clicking with your mouse. I usually leave a space or two on either side as if you were typing another word. :roll: They will show up as something different until you preview your message prior to sending. Try it :wink: you'll like it. :D :D
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:42 pm

C.H.,

Dan's right, it's quite simple to click them into your message. They won't look right until you click on preview.

You can also go back and change them.
Last edited by George Willer on Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:53 pm

Cub-Hoser wrote:Here is a question for any-one to help me with, How the heck do i get them there little message bodys over to my message box? I have tried everything. Cub-Hoser

If your asking about above , then just click on the "QUOTE" box above that particular message .................
Ron

Cub-Hoser
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cub-Hoser » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:13 am

Thanks for the Information on the little face's, by the way George I hope that's not a family photo! Thank's again. Cub-Hoser :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”