This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Savin' Seed

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Savin' Seed

Postby Virginia Mike » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:23 am

I harvested a bushel of corn from the 1/2 acre of Hickory Cane corn I planted last spring. The coons and deer ravaged it due to the drought.
I am shelling and cleaning it in hope of saving enough seed for next year. We tied the shucks and hung it up at home, but I want to store it in gallon jugs to keep bugs and mice out.
Would it be alright to drop a mothball in the jugs? I wouldn't want to "Kill" the seed.
Best,
Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13104
Tractors Owned: 1979 IH Cub - 253598

check out these websites!

Postby boldpsi » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:15 pm

VirginiaMike, you should check out SeedSaversExchange:

http://www.seedsavers.org/

for general info, and also (and maybe first) the good, ol', MotherEarthNews site:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/

both of these sites have a wealth of information regarding seed saving. there are also a ton of other sites on the 'Net, but you can start here. the MotherEarthNews site has an offer for CDs of reprints of their articles, and i'm sure there are good suggestions in there. one of the more recent issues has a great article on corn, and how some folks are working very hard to bring back old varieties such as yours... sorry, can't remember which one, but maybe i'll peruse them sometime soon and let you know.

p.s. i DEFINITELY wouldn't put mothballs in... the real trick is to dry the seed correctly, then store it in (hopefully sealed with wax or whatever at the merger of the "lid" or "top" and "container" or "bottom") air-tight containers, such as the olive-oil containers one can buy on the 'Net.

good luck!
dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:32 pm

Thanks for the links Dave.
Best,
Mike

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:54 am

Ifeel like ant ant standing next to an elephant. I only have a 20x35 backyard garden. But I was very fortunate this year to have some exceptional squash, cukes, and tomatoes. I would like to save the seed and plant this stock next year. Unfortunately the squash and tomato seeds are on the counter as we speak. So as you can see time is of the essence. If anyone can give me a 1 paragraph crash course in preserving seed I would really appreciate it. Many thanks Frank
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Saving seed

Postby Billy Fussell » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:04 pm

Mike,

The way I do it, and it may be wrong, but it works for me, is to completely dry the seed and put in a zip lock bag, and put it in the deep freezer. Be sure to label the bags. Then, next year when you go to plant, the seed will have a small amoutn of moisture from defrosting, and will help if the ground is a little dry. And some say that the small amount of moisture that will be left in the seed when freezing, will crack the shell of the seed to also help it to come up. Hybred seed cannot be saved. They will come up as one of the parent seed. Some say it will come back true the first year, after that it will come back as one of the parent seed. I don't know about that. I never saved hybred seed. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Billy

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13104
Tractors Owned: 1979 IH Cub - 253598

right: hybrid seed is a no-no for seed savers

Postby boldpsi » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:15 pm

Billy, and others,

don't try to save seed that's not "heirloom" seed - as others have said, hybrid seeds won't be true to either parent, and often are sterile, which is a sad suprise when you plant'em and nothing comes up! ;^(

another good site is:

http://www.heirloomseeds.com

this company specializes in all kinds of seeds which will hold true, and you'll get the same fruits year after year. in fact, you can even improve the variety for your own unique circumstances, but i won't get into that, now - it's a whole discussion in-and-of itself! i planted this last year's garden solely to seeds from this company (using the "square-foot gardening method http://www.squarefootgardening.com), and i can attest that they are of excellent quality and had great germination rates.

good luck!
dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:59 pm

WELLLLLLL. I thank you both!!! Since my seeds were hybrid I saved myself a little work and a lot of aggravation. The only use I got from this seed was to dry the butternut seed, roast it in the oven for a few minutes, a little salt, and a nice snack. Back to the seed catalog. Frank
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:32 am

Frank, the butternut seed is probably the one you could have saved. Butternut is not usually hybrid. And besides, you need another snack about as badly as I do!! Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”