This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

FArmall BN Tranny Noises

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

FArmall BN Tranny Noises

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:22 am

Our 45 BN has developed a small rattling noise . I had the gear shifter off and noticed nothing loose. It sounds like gears rattling type of noise. shifts fine and also pulls fine ,however it does not sound right. Noise sounds like it is coming from the upper left side of the case. Any thoughts?
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:55 am

Well the noise has expanded to a locking tranny. I was using the spring tooth.
Pulled it up to the house , went to move it later and would go into gear but would load the tractor while letting the clutch out. Then I heard a pop and seems to move. Was it a stuck brake?
Still has the noise.
George W. and Gary D. Another Scrap project.
Phil

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:09 pm

Phil, sounds like a shifter or shift rail problem, sounds like it was in 2 gears, the pop was the "wrong" gear disengaging.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:15 pm

Phil - my BN growls a little but not much for a 60 year old tractor. Come to think of it, I growl a little myself and I'm as old as the tractor. If you remove the top cover you can check quickly to assure that there are no chipped or broken gear teeth but I agree that it was most likely stuck in 2 gears and has popped out. Check the shifter forks to see if you have a bent or broken one as parts man suggested.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:47 am

I'm not real good at tranny noises,but I think a bearing.I was at SCRAP and drove it.Worse in reverse!!!Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:25 am

Still noisey in there. It sounds like gears are hitting and not moving away from each other. I hope to pop into it tonight. Could something have come loose in there. I had it totally broke down nuts and bolts so I have inspected the bearing etc. any help would be appreciated. I let GW listen to it but so much noise around the area could not get a good listen, Kevin(Ketcham ) Heard in the parking lot. So it is not a common thing. I recently had a BN at our house and that sucker was tight and sounded great.Smooth So I know it will only get worse.
Phil

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:27 pm

took the shifter off last night , seems there is end play in the top gearing, is this normal - around .06 (1/6 ")
Also noticed what felt like small burrs on the gears. But did not feel any shavings.
I put the shifter back on and now I get only third with loading in all other gears.

I have had it off a couple times , but you know how late nights can be.
Will get it together tonight.
Phil

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:37 pm

Phil - If you're down this way sometime stop by and drive my BN. It has what I would call average normal gear noise for a 60 year old tractor. Not real noisy but not real quiet either. It might help you evaluate some of your noises.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:26 pm

Thanks BD for the offer. I drove a BN last weekend and it had the same sound minus the gears , of knicking sound.
I hope to get my brother over to take a listen adn see what he thinks.

Will let you know

Phil

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:29 am

Well. I got it fixed. Could have ,and would have been a bad thing if left to continue.
I took the shifter off and put the gears in neutral. Started the tractor and let the clutch out just enough to see the gears spin free, no problem,then moved the gears to first, let clutch out slowly to see if there was any binding in the gear case. Looked good. So my attention went to the shifter itself.
Well the shifter front slide bolts were the culprit to the clicking and the shifting problems. The bolts were almost out, bent ,and the tops were filed off from hitting the front top gear. There are retention clips that I must not have put tight enough against the bolt heads. So I replaced the two front bolts ,put locktite,and swedged the clips in, so there is no question. Put it back together and shifts perfectly and suprise the noise disappeared.
Had I left it go it would have certainly made major issues with the gearing.
I plan to wash the gear box completely to get the filings out from the bolt heads.
Just an update. Runs and sounds like a chanp.

:D
Phil

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:59 am

Well done, Phil
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:19 am

great!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) I like the good news!!!!Kevin knew it didn't sound right
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Farmall B & BN”