This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Anyone else think this might be a sign?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:46 am

If that is the original hydraulic system, the pump probably has a seal on the input shaft rather than an o-ring.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:47 am

Rudi wrote:Trent:

Yup that is a sign...

Nice gun too.. I remember those when they first came out.. My Dad bought one for the shop.. late 60's early 70's. Nice inexpensive gun.. not a DeVilbliss but a good intermediate gun..

Have fun with that :!:

My first couple guns were 131A Speedys and then I stepped up to a 331. I thought it was great at the time. I can't imagine trying to use one today since so many inexpensive guns work so much better. I'm sure it's been over 40 years since any of mine have sprayed anything but de-greasing solvents.

One thing they can do well is spray latex paints because they can be converted to pressure feed... but be careful of the screw on cup.

I think that gun would be a nice item to display, though because of its pristine condition. :D

The Cub and especially the H are in exceptional condition too. I can see that the Cub has been repainted but is the '43 H original?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:48 am

Jeff- Good eye. That's the H in the background. I posted a picture of it in the Case/IH forum. You have also spotted the 54a blade that I picked up at an auction. With this tractor we also got a 193 plow, 144 cultivators, 22 sickle mower (can see parts of it in the above picture and in the picture of the H) and Woods 42C-4.

To see my latest acquisitions take a look at this thread. I love the goodies, too.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22410&highlight=planter

This Cub (the one we are discussing here, not the one in the above link) was my late great uncle's favorite and they never sold it, even after they sold the H and Super M years ago. My great aunt is very happy with the interest I'm taking in it and the first stop after its all done will be by her house. I'm gonna try to make Uncle John Frank proud.
Last edited by Trent M on Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trent McPeak

barn_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby barn_cub » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:24 pm

I'll go against the grain here! That Cub paint/decals look original and it does not need paint to keep it from rusting. Anybody can have a newly painted tractor---very few can have the real thing and still preserve the machine. Let her be a lady in period costume.
Barn_cub
Cub herd, 2 Farmall A's, 2 AC's, 1 Ford, 1 JD

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:39 pm

Hey George, I was told that the Cub's motor had been rebuilt and that it had been repainted at some point in time. I wondered if it had been repainted, and I look at it up close. How can you tell it was repainted from the picture? Also, the H looks good from a distance. The paint is really not so good, I think it was a rattle can job. You can still see the pits on the sheet metal. I bought it that way.

And John, I have looked into the TC pump rebuild, but haven't ordered the parts yet. Will this have what I need? are both the seal and o-ring in there?

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/288fp.htm

Also, would I likely need this too and order it at the same time?

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/746fp.htm

Thanks again.
Trent McPeak

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:13 pm

trentm71 wrote:Hey George, I was told that the Cub's motor had been rebuilt and that it had been repainted at some point in time. I wondered if it had been repainted, and I look at it up close. How can you tell it was repainted from the picture? Thanks again.

The decal isn't original for that hood.
George Willer

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: J7Z1B7

Postby trac48 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Bus Driver wrote:Let us spray!
Boy that's a good one :lol: :lol: You have a good start the tractor is free 8) :lol:

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:37 pm

Trent:
Theres time you want to make the great aunts &/or aunts, even mothers proud of what their better half had :D :D . Sounds to me you have one heck of a great lady :D . Very very nice find. Keep the family hertiage going.
Jeff
PS:
My eye's are senior :lol:
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:49 pm

This is just a guess and my point of view, (so don't take it to hart). I think the time had come for IH to develop more HP out of the cub and the demand was there, (just as you might read in many other post) They increased the compresion, changed the cam, and turned up the RPM, all that was useless with out more air flow and fuel. They had already enqured quite an expense this far and it would be cheaper to go the sub-let rout by this time . I think the Zenith is less tempromental than the IH carb. Not better. I think that the larger air and fuel flow allows for more small particals to flow through the system than a IH carb. I have hardly seen a IH carb that hasn't had sings of taping on the side from the float sticking. The farmer then had work to do and didn't stop to rebuild the carb. Sorry for rambeling. Jack

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:07 pm

Jack Donovan wrote:This is just a guess and my point of view, (so don't take it to hart). I think the time had come for IH to develop more HP out of the cub and the demand was there, (just as you might read in many other post) They increased the compresion, changed the cam, and turned up the RPM, all that was useless with out more air flow and fuel. They had already enqured quite an expense this far and it would be cheaper to go the sub-let rout by this time . I think the Zenith is less tempromental than the IH carb. Not better. I think that the larger air and fuel flow allows for more small particals to flow through the system than a IH carb. I have hardly seen a IH carb that hasn't had sings of taping on the side from the float sticking. The farmer then had work to do and didn't stop to rebuild the carb. Sorry for rambeling. Jack

I can't think of any other time I demanded more power out of a Cub than the Tug or dyno. They've always had enough for what I wanted to do.

The Zenith's performance on the dyno has, as predicted, shown it doesn't add any more power. Maybe different results will show up in the future but running several different carburetors on the same tractor showed that particular Zenith wasn't as strong.

I'm looking forward to the dyno results from the IN CubFest. :?
George Willer

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:53 pm

Hey Trent,

Nice tractor. Your aunt was very nice to you. I guess it's time
to take her out to dinner. :lol:

JimT
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:57 am

:lol: I agree with you GW, However there were more changes than just the carb, Intake volume, compretion ratio , cam, and more RPM. and the real point" :lol: Price to IH.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:25 pm

Update: I was taking the rear wheel weights off Aunt Betty's Cub today and Dad came over, just in time. Just in time that I was already done!! We got to talking about the Cub's rebuild and repaint. He said he thought it was just before he went into the service, which was in 1967. Another rebuild in 2006 and repaint in ???? Hopefully soon!!

George, what is different about the decal? I'm gonna guess the black border around it or the border around the letters? When I repaint I'll try to get the original style.
Trent McPeak

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:36 pm

trentm71 wrote:George, what is different about the decal? I'm gonna guess the black border around it or the border around the letters? When I repaint I'll try to get the original style.

The original would have said "McCormick Deering" above Farmall Cub.
George Willer

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:42 pm

Original paint, or not, that's pretty good lookin Cub. Looks to be all there and not too beat up! 8) Certainly cant beat free, anyways!
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Return to “Farmall Cub”