This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to tractors and late to introduce myself....

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
10+ Years
10+ Years

New to tractors and late to introduce myself....

Postby 888 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:17 pm

I've already been posting in the Technical forum, just realized this one was here for a more formal introduction. You should know up front that I used to write machine manuals for a living and still resolve machine problems "teaching" by email for a Germany based machine company so I'll burn up some bandwidth on a post. :D

I'm in SW Ohio, brand new to tractors, never had one any bigger than my current JD 180 before, was looking for one on and off for a few years to do some odd jobs, it became more urgent recently because I have a newly acquired bad back (lifting VW diesel engines with two people is not recommended).

I'm looking at building a barn next spring and I needed something to haul lumber up the hill to the barn site and clear the 300' of drive in the winter. Maybe something to pull the odd tree out of the creek for cutting up. I don't need to cut with it because nothing bigger than the 38" deck on my little old JD 180 will fit between my trees.

A friend with a horse farm had a Cub Lo-Boy that quit on him over the winter and I bought it sight unseen because it was cheap and he said it was a good option for what I wanted if I could fix it. I've had 90+ cars and trucks (bought fixed sold) so I'm usually ok with things that need work. Or so I thought, I've really had to lean on you guys for help but I'm getting used to how the Cub is laid out and wired. The work I've done has taught me a lot more than I would have learned if it just fired up easily and might teach me something to help someone else with a Cub some day...at least that's the way I'm looking at it. :)

Thanks in advance for the help, hope to be able to return the favor some day.
1974 Cub 154 Lo-Boy project - I know cars and trucks but I am a tractor rookie, please be warned !!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Trent M » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:57 pm

888-

Welcome aboard!! I have seen your posts elsewhere, but WELCOME anyhow!! Have fun with that Lo Boy!!

Trent
Trent McPeak

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:00 pm

Welcome 888 to the best danged Forum in the world and a great bunch of folks to chat with. I don't think any of us ever get to the point where we cannot learn something new. I no, for one, I don't cause just about every time I come on here, I learn something new. Glad to have you, enjoy. Pete

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:51 pm

888 - Welcome aboard. It's good to have another Lo-Boy owner.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: New to tractors and late to introduce myself....

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:23 pm

888 wrote:I've already been posting in the Technical forum, just realized this one was here for a more formal introduction. You should know up front that I used to write machine manuals for a living and still resolve machine problems "teaching" by email for a Germany based machine company so I'll burn up some bandwidth on a post. :D

Well, welcome.. and now you "know the rest of the story..." . In the Canadian Forces, I wrote SOP's or training manauals for my trade. As a few already know, I can be kinda verbose at times, but it is meant to provide clarity and the max in info in the smallest space possible.

You know how difficult that can be.

One of the nice things about the modern internet.. is that thoughts do not have to be kept to the barest minimum. One may flesh out a sentence properly to exactly convey what one means.

Enjoy.. be looking forward to some of your writings... Welcome to the family and I hope you enjoy that Cub. But.. you may find you become more addicted to your cub and use your JD less.. don't be too surprised.. :lol: :lol: :!: :roll: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:27 pm

Welcome to the greatest forum on the web!

chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

David C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47141
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub, 1970 135 Massey Ferguson, 1970 175 Massey Ferguson, 1964 Cub Cadet Model 70. 1977 Farmall 140 (Granpa's)

Postby David C » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:42 pm

Howdy! What part of SW Ohio are you located at... Theres a cubfest in Indiana next month. C'mon over

http://www.cubfest.com/

David C
I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:54 pm

Again, Welcome to the board :D

10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 888 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:14 am

David C wrote:Howdy! What part of SW Ohio are you located at... Theres a cubfest in Indiana next month. C'mon over

http://www.cubfest.com/

David C

I'm midway between 70/75 interchange and the Indiana border. Probably 15 miles northwest of Dayton.

I'll check out the link.

Thanks
1974 Cub 154 Lo-Boy project - I know cars and trucks but I am a tractor rookie, please be warned !!!

10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 888 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:27 am

Rudi wrote:
888 wrote:I've already been posting in the Technical forum, just realized this one was here for a more formal introduction. You should know up front that I used to write machine manuals for a living and still resolve machine problems "teaching" by email for a Germany based machine company so I'll burn up some bandwidth on a post. :D

Well, welcome.. and now you "know the rest of the story..." . In the Canadian Forces, I wrote SOP's or training manauals for my trade. As a few already know, I can be kinda verbose at times, but it is meant to provide clarity and the max in info in the smallest space possible.

You know how difficult that can be.

One of the nice things about the modern internet.. is that thoughts do not have to be kept to the barest minimum. One may flesh out a sentence properly to exactly convey what one means.

Enjoy.. be looking forward to some of your writings... Welcome to the family and I hope you enjoy that Cub. But.. you may find you become more addicted to your cub and use your JD less.. don't be too surprised.. :lol: :lol: :!: :roll: :D

Thanks for the reply, Rudi. Writing too much is what I do best, I'm thinking you know that tune but I think explaining the problem in detail means that everyone understands it better and solutions come the fastest.

If the Cub would fit between my trees, I wouldn't need the JD but a 38" deck is all that will fit. A 42" is too much, I have at least a hundred trees out front and I have to weave between them like a slalom course when cutting the grass.

The Cub was part fulfilling a need and part challenge, like everything else I drag home, I just wanted to see what I could make of it. It was a pile of unattached parts and frayed or disconnected wiring covered in dirt and rust when I brought it home. With the electrical stuff hopefully behind me, I'm into mechanicals which I'm much better with. This weekend I think it will be running and then I can start on the cosmetics a little. I guess you guys seem to name your tractors, when it runs maybe I can gift it with a name other than the $#!@&!!! that my wife has hung on it for taking up all my time. :D

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:33 am

Welcome to the Forum "Officially" now. I know the TSC you have mentioned in your posts, that one is actually a decent store. I've acutally been known to drive down there just for parts as they would have them. The manager seemed to know more than the average type, and actually kept items stocked up pretty well.

Since your close, hope to get the chance to catch up to you in the future, especially if this 'Heat" ever stops :evil:

I guess you guys seem to name your tractors, when it runs maybe I can gift it with a name other than the $#!@&!!! that my wife has hung on it for taking up all my time.

How about "Patience" :idea:
Mike Duncan

10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 888 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:56 am

Patience is a good one. I was thinking of Sparky because of it's tendency to accidentially weld things and throw sparks.

I hate to even post this but I had to go to TSC at lunch today on 73 in Springboro because they had something I couldn't find anywhere else (NAPA, KOI, WalMart, chains)....Berryman Chem-Dip Carb cleaner in the gallon can with the strainer. Need it for the Cub's carb because all of my other solvents are polluted from soaking diesel parts and cylinder heads.

I knew I had seen it somewhere locally and at the last place I tried (KOI in Franklin), the counterguy said you know who has that? TSC up the road. And sure enough, there it was. :shock:

I have a VW buddy in Yellow Springs, I'll probably be up there some time soon. I'll email before I head up. The heat does stink, it's rained on every side of us, there's flooding and power outages 10 miles north, not a drop for us.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:15 pm

888 wrote:I'm in SW Ohio, brand new to tractors . . .

Maybe something to pull the odd tree out of the creek for cutting up.

I hate to be the safety nanny, but this is a dangerous combination.

Others will no doubt chime in with a rebuttal or a list of safety precautions that will allow you to safely pull a tree. However, proper hitching to drag things like trees requires care and knowledge. People with decades of tractor experience manage to kill themselves in tractor rollovers in an ongoing, if not regular basis.

My warning list for a novice tractor operator is:
1) Read and follow all the warnings in the Owner's Manual.
1) Don't try pulling large dead loads.
2) The only time a chain should be attached anywhere on the tractor except a properly attached drawbar is when you are tying it down on a trailer.

This post may prompt responses from other that have pulled trees with their tractors and not had a problem. I promise you will not hear from the ones that did kill themselves trying.

10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 888 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:31 pm

Jim;

Thanks for the warning. This is my first tractor ownership wise but I worked with a lot of bigger ones when I worked for the local Golf courses cutting golf courses on hills and I know that they can be dangerous. I have a hill out by the road right now that makes me nervous on a little JD 180.

I've also done a lot of rigging of heavy loads around our shop and I've worked with and watched riggers on our bigger machines (up to 100k lbs). I'm really careful on what I do, pay attention to what the load is telling me. I use nylon straps instead of chains wherever possible in case something comes undone and comes flying back at me.

It will take some time for me to get comfortable enough with this cub and get a feel for what it can do and what it shouldn't before I would do anything with a sizable tree. I'm glad it's a Lo-Boy, after seeing some of the other designs, i would be very paranoid about rolling one over.

Joe

Return to “Introduce Yourself”