This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Neighbors

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Neighbors

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:20 pm

Bud and Russ's generous offer to finish rebuilding my cub for me has gotten me started remembering things other neighbors have done over the years. I've lived in the Missouri hills practically all my life, and have always tried to be a good neighbor, and always had great neighbors, even when I lived where people warned me to watch the neighbors.

When I was about 5 years old (approx. 1953), I had to have my tonsils removed. At that time you spent 2 or 3 days in the hospital rather than it being outpatient surgery as it is now. On the way home the first day after my surgery my parents were involved in a car accident. No one was hurt, but our only vehicle was totaled. The next day my Father came down with the mumps. We lived 30 miles from the hospital, 5 miles from the closest town, and a mile off the road, and the same distance from the closest neighbor with a car or phone. The only telephone we had was an old crank phone that we and 3 other families maintained so we could communicate with each other.

The next day after Dad got sick Lawrence Proctor pulled up in front of the house in his 2 year old pickup, handed Mom the keys to his only vehicle, and said, "Let me know when you are through with it". Mom was pleasantly surprised, and asked him why he was doing that. He replied, " Your man is sick, your son is in the hospital, and you don't have either a phone or a way to get around. I live on the highway and can always catch a ride from someone, or I can ride my horse down and get the truck if I need it". With that he turned around and walked home. You don't forget neighbors like that, or ones like Bud and Russ.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:51 pm

JOhn, sounds like you have been truly blessed with good neighbors, and I'd venture that your neighbors have been blessed to have you as their neighbor as well. A good neighbor is worth more than gold!!!
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:42 pm

Reminds me of the time 34 years ago my dad (step-dad) had a stroke during harvest season. Had a lot of corn still in the fields. All the neighbors took a day and came in to take the crop off. Local fuel company supplied the fuel & ladie's auxilliary from the fire dept. served lunch. Problem was, that the day they did it was the day dad died. He never knew what they had done. Of course, he had been part of the same type of thing many times for other neighbors. Just never expected he'd ever need it himself.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:25 pm

Where I grew up, in a semi rural area just outside a major city, everybody had the same common problem, no money. Everybody depended on everybody just to have something they couldn’t afford.

Everyone helped build each of their houses, repair their vehicles and take care of everybody’s family when emergency conditions happened.

I remember my dad was the first to buy a tractor which was a used’49 Cub with a manual lift. Everybody from the neighborhood gathered around and praised his purchase because they thought he was such a hard worker and he deserved something nice.

My dad was also a generous person and everyone used the Cub for their garden plowing and ECT. The tractor was also used to plow snow off everyone’s driveway, a road going to everyone’s house and pull an old horse drawn road grader to grade the gravel on that road.

I’ll never forget the gravel road had a big hill on it and when it snowed the entire neighborhood would go out sleigh riding down it. We had a big bonfire and of course the Cub pulled all the small children and their sled back up the hill.

Years later the City nearby grew into the area and my Mother and Father retired and moved to the Missouri Ozarks. In general everyone in that area accepted my parents and the neighborhood was much like the area I grew up in.

When my wife and I married, we decided to move and build in a rural area. In my area, I really don’t see the closeness of neighbors today as when I grew up. I talk to my neighbor maybe once every two weeks. It’s really ironic, I’ll write (talk) to someone through e-mail across the county more than I’ll talk to my neighbors.

Jack Fowler

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”