This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Quilts ?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Quilts ?

Postby cowboy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:28 am

I know their are quilters out there. So I figured I will get the ball rolling and share two quilts my aunt made me. All I know about quilts is that they are nice to curl up in a couch with :!: She also quilted me some place holders for my table :wink:

This one was delivered while Carl Luker was over. I wish I had oppened it while he was still here. Sorry for the forbidden material in it. I take it that its a quilt just not "patchwork"

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Wise Owl » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:38 pm

Billy:

:) Those are really nice quilts and they certainly do look warm to cuddle in on those cold winter nights. Quilts are a long process in making and it take a lot of talent to make them. Your aunt seems quite talented.

I was in the process of weaving baby blankets with the loom when I went for my hand surgery in April. My hand had been so painful for a few years that I had to slowly drop a lot of the stuff I loved to do. That is why I don't have too much stuff planted so far this summer I am still on orders not to move my wrist where they removed the bone. The cast and pins came out 6 weeks later but this splint only comes off in another 3 weeks. I guess my summer will be different than usual.

Anyway those are beautiful quilts :D :D Enjoy them!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:55 am

Thanks Em

My sister used to make them too but with a 4 year old boy and being a girl scout troop leader for my 7 yr old neice she doesn't have time anymore.

I do not think I ever passed 26 mentaly I just do not heal as fast. I do belive positive thinking is the best medcine. I hope you can amaze the doctors with how fast you heal and get back to doing what you want :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

quilts

Postby Clem » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:19 pm

Those are great quilts billy. My grandmom was an expert quilt maker and they are nice to have around now that she is not. She used to do them all by hand - no sewing machine, which is amazing to me, and made things called "double wedding ring' and "drunkards's path." I tried to learn once but I am quilting inept. You are lucky to have such a talented aunt!

Julie

flag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby flag » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:06 pm

Cowboy those are very nice and a treasure that lasts a long time. you will always be able to reflect on the time yor Aunt put into them as you cuddle.

My Mom bless her heart has made many (about 80) and gave them to us kids (well not anymore) and our kids.

A lot of hand stitching and love goes into a queen size. She has made many designs.
Do you know where she could sell them as she has many stored never used :?: , always refolding them in a different way to avoid creasings :!:

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby TexCub » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:17 pm

My Mom and Aunt go to some of those quilting shows and it amazes me what some of them sell for, many around $1000 that are handmade. From living around quilters, I know that they're probably breaking even with a price like that with the work they put in them.

If I were looking to sell some, I'd check out the Ebay scene, always someone willing to pay top dollar for something handmade that's a quality job!!
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:41 pm

My great grandma did some quiltin. I've got a few here that she made that are very nice to have on those COLD winter nights :D . My aunt's really into knitting/ crocheting quilts. THis old lady taught me how to crochet one time, but I forgot. :roll:
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

flag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby flag » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:50 pm

I never thought about ebay, that is an idea!!! :D

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:55 pm

Hand made quilts, good design, thick and warm.. = mucho dinero on ebayo.. :!:

However, you will have to research it well, and then be patient. Set a minimum for the quilt that you wish to have and do not go below that. Or the minimum should be say $100.00 over opening price... gotta get a start. But be patient. It may take a while. eBay is not an easy game, but it is a good and fair game if you play it wisely and well.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316

Postby TexCub » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:04 pm

Rudi has a very good point. I've always been on the buying end of ebay, find someone who sells a lot of stuff and pick their brain on the how to's. With something like a quilt, it'd be painful to let it go at a lower price than what you wanted because you missed something!!
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

flag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby flag » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:46 am

Great idea... As some have mentioned a lot of time goes into them especially when all is hand sewed except when the top, batting & bottom are put together.
I guess i'll have to get the digi camera out, learn about ebay and Mom's pricings.
Thanks

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Re: Quilts ?

Postby KETCHAM » Wed May 14, 2008 8:46 am

I have my dads baby clothes quilt.Made in the early 30s by my grandmother.I don't use it!!!!I need to find it a good home before i die.Some place like a place that shows them or something.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Wed May 14, 2008 7:48 pm

My wife is also an avid quilter. Here are a few pictures of some of my favorites. :D

I apologize for the lighting. Fortunately, she is a much better quilter than I am a photographer !!

Roy
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed May 14, 2008 11:12 pm

I see 2 classic patterns there.I would love to have a "few" to throw around.Need to find a better more "classic" woman.HA!Still kind of old school here.Women now don't seem to like the old way of doing things.Easier just to buy the stuff ya need.I don't have that kind of money.I think I should take up quilting so I can make my own.I did make hook rugs and have a few of them.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:35 am

Beautiful quilts all! There are quilt appraisers. Contact a quilt shop and they should be able to guide you to finding someone. Denny and I have quilts that were made by our great grandmothers. They both did fantastic quilting, not only for the family, but also quilted tops for others, by hand. Those quilts were appraised at $500-$700. I made a quilt for our son and his new bride. I told them to insure it for $600. It cost about $400 dollars to make, not counting the time it took. I love to quilt, not only for the beautiful product, but also it is a great stress reliever.

Candy
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”