This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Float Bowl Repair

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44
Circle of Safety: Y

Float Bowl Repair

Postby Ike » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:24 am

The float bowl on my 51 Cub has two holes corroded thru the bottom. :( I figure that I have nothing to lose by trying to repair these with JB Weld. However, I thought I would find out if anyone had some hints or suggestions before I attempted this repair. :)

Thanks in advance :!:

Ike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:31 am

I don't see any reason it won't work or any special procedure that you will need. Be sure to clean all corrosion from the repair area and carefully clean the area with a cleaner that leaves no residue. Brake cleaner will do a good job.

Catfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Catfish » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:39 am

I think it will work fine, just be sure to use the clear fuel line trick to adjust the fuel level in the bowl as the float will be heavier and may sink more. Good Luck!
CatfishImage

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:51 am

I did exactly what you are thinking of doing on a Briggs 12-horse carb float. My float was 1/4 full of gas but no entry hole visable so I drilled a small hole in the top close to the pivot point and drained it good and then patched the hole with J.B.. So far it seems to have done the trick and stopped the engine from surging as it did with the float 1/4 full of gas.

P.S., The residue free cleaner that I always use instead of brake cleaner is el`cheapo Wal-Mart brand carb cleaner in the spray can.
Then came Bronson

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:09 pm

I believe Ike is talking about the bowl not the float itself. and just a though you my want to drill it out to get some good metal before the J.B. repair

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:53 pm

Dogman wrote:I believe Ike is talking about the bowl not the float itself. and just a though you my want to drill it out to get some good metal before the J.B. repair

:mrgreen: Yeah dogman, I was thinking that too but this post from catfish

kinda threw me off.

:shock:
Then came Bronson

Catfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Catfish » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:28 pm

When I read the post again it is obvious he is talking about the bowl. I don't know why I didn't see it before!! Image
CatfishImage

Return to “Farmall Cub”