This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rear wheel weight bolts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:22 pm

Donny:

You might be interested to know that the machinist's tool box has a history that traces it back to early cabinetmakers. For centuries fine furniture and cabinetmakers used wooden tool boxes in their shops as they were the only ones available, and no self-respecting cabinetmaker would use someone else's. Each apprentice was required to create their own tool box as part of their apprenticeship. Inovation became almost routine as each apprentice would work tirelessly to improve upon previous projects.

As the industrial age evolved, new trades and new craftsmen came into being. Machinist's and Tool and Die makers being two specialties that I can think of off-hand.

Each of these new trades looked to the past - cabinetmakers - and what they used to store their priceless tools. Priceless meaning that without them you did not make a living!! You will find that the machinist's boxes are enhancements from the basic tool boxes cabinetmakers had in their shops.

All of my tool boxes are wooden except for my mechanics tools. One day even that one will be wooden.

Oh, my pride and joy however is my ULMIA MeisterSchreiner HandWerkzeug Geshranke (Master Cabinetmakers Hand Tool Cabinet),which is made of European Red Beech. All the wooden tools are made of Beech, Hornbeam and Lignum Vitae with some rosewood and brass thrown in for good measure!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:10 pm

:lol: I new that Rudy-But you didn't have to make me feel so Guilty for burnning all them tool boxes last winter :roll: :roll: "Jack"

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:26 pm

Read some chatter about Whitworth threads. Its still alive and well across the pond. Most of my career here I've worked on Hawker jets and they were built with Whitworth fastners. Even the plumbing was British which is nothing you've ever seen before and would be difficult to desribe. The Brits tools are marked with the thread size not actuall jaw opening size. Makes selecting the right wrench a frustration in trial and error.

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:53 pm

To ALL,

I didn't really meant to get everyone s-o-o stirred up. But way back when
I took drafting and was drawing bolts and threads the 1/2 x 12 was and is listed as "American STANDARD Unified". This just goes to show that if you
don't keep up with the times they will pass you by.

I had a boss once that continually advised me to not let my obsolescence
overtake my retirement. Well, looks like that may have happened.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:56 pm

Donny M wrote:George,

Would you happen to have a 9/16-18 in that drawer of yours :?: :?: :?:

Donny. Do you really need one, or were you just checking out George's box?

Love this thread talk. Reminds me of when I used to work !!
Ron

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:07 pm

rleggitt wrote:To ALL,

I didn't really meant to get everyone s-o-o stirred up. But way back when
I took drafting and was drawing bolts and threads the 1/2 x 12 was and is listed as "American STANDARD Unified". This just goes to show that if you
don't keep up with the times they will pass you by.

I had a boss once that continually advised me to not let my obsolescence
overtake my retirement. Well, looks like that may have happened.

Russ, just had to pull your chain a little bit! :P
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:08 pm

Everyone.... So far as I can read, all posts on the screw threads are correct. To get technical, some of the comman symbols for standard threads are; NC - National Course, NF - National Fine, NEF - National Extra Fine, NS - National Special. If preceeded by a "U" , just add "Unified". Our friend... the 1/2-12 is a NS. And, as most of you know, the most comman threads are the NC and NF. I know this is only the tip of the iceburg, but I "get off" talking about this stuff....... Thanks for letting me be windy!
Ron

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:13 am

Ron,
No I didn't need one but I thought George would have one. Call it intuition. Why should women have a monopoly on it :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Russ,

I felt I needed to cover Bigdog's back lest he come and steal my Cubs. :wink: :wink:

Return to “Farmall Cub”