This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Cub 1/16 Replicas???

The Collector's Show & Tell is the place to show off and discuss your favorite collectables with other forum members. Coins, stamps, toys, ephemera, guns, knives, doodads, etc.
deerejohn1953
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall Cub 1/16 Replicas???

Postby deerejohn1953 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:41 pm

Hey All,

I'm planning a special birthday present for my uncle's 70th birthday...I'm building him a 1/16 scale replica of his barn, and I'm looking for Ertl toy tractors like the ones he owns to go with it. I've already found a John Deere 40T, but I seem to be having trouble locating a 1/16 Farmall Cub (early version...red, late 40s-early 50s). I could have sworn they were plentiful and available but my Google searches didn't turn up any. If anybody has the info I need, I'm sure I'll get results here...you guys are the best! So...any ideas on where I can find them at a reasonable price??? Thanks!

Jim G.
Blairsville, PA

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:06 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:54 pm

take it easy on me I'm currently the high bidder
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:58 pm

Jim:

I bought one on eBay a couple weeks ago... it arrived at it's second leg to NB... the only place you will really find the early Cubs will be on eBay.

This is the search string on eBay that I use for the 1/16th scale Cubs Ertl Farmall Cubs. So far I have moved my collection from 1 to 4 rather inexpensively. However the 5th one, well it is somewhere in that never never land between USPS and Canada Post where things disappear after they have cleared CUSTOMS...

Shades of Who Stole My Nuts :!: :roll: :wink: :D

Vintage 1988 Ertl IH Farmall Cub Farm Toy Tractor NIB

Vintage 1988 Ertl 1/16 IH Farmall Cub Farm Toy Tractor
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John68
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John68 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:21 am

Steve, I have been watching that auction. Good thing you spoke up. I don't want to make it any more expensive for you. Those things were overpriced from the start.

This is why I like and dispise Ertl, at the same time. They come up with something good, then they make it in limited edition, release a bunch of crap that is similar, but not the same, and then, they whine like little kids when their stuff isn't selling.

There is no reason why they couldn't have done castings without the underslung muffler on some of the other Cubs in the series. Seeing how only the special edition reflected the ribbed hood/wire front grill/older style cubs, it has kept me from getting too excited about the whole Cub series.

I think the main reason for my bitterness is the fact that I wasn't even 13 years old when that first edition came out, and coming up with the dealer marked-up $75 was out of the question. So much for kids toys!

Rudi, Thanks for pointing me to Ralph! I checked out his website and it looks like he might have exactly what I need. Good luck getting that Ertl Cub!
John

1953!! Farmall F-Cub, bought "new" on this farm in July 1955, in service from 1955-76 and sat 'til '93 when I did a total mech. resto on it & a quick coat of Rust-Oleum "Safety Red" paint. A full metal and paint restoration will be done.

deerejohn1953
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deerejohn1953 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:59 am

Thanks guys...I have found a couple dealers online since posting, but I feel they are WAY overpriced (like you said, upwards of $70+). And I despise ebay almost as much as I get outbid every time. I suppose I'll just have to pony-up the cash if I want to get what I am looking for. I just didn't figure on finding a replica Cub as being the hardest part of this whole project! LOL

If anybody even has links to non-auction sites with 1/16 Cubs for sale, please pass them along as I will go with the cheapest one (right now the "cheapest" I've found is $70.00). I have 3 weeks so the sooner the better (YIKES!) Thanks again!

Jim G
Blairsville, PA

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:39 pm

Jim:

eBay is not that difficult. The secret is to watch and not bid as to drive up the price until the last few minutes.. it takes nerves.. a bit, and a steady heartbeat, cause you know you don't want to bid too much. See what the absolute top dollar you will pay is, and at the last 2 minutes, bid with your max at that dollar value. It will be hard for a sniper to outbid you if you are willing to pay the price... they tend to go to their limit, which is usually less than $50.00 cause they retail em so that they can make a hefty profit.. The two links above that I pointed to are both available. I already have that particular Cub and unlike many on eBay, I just want one of each.. period. So please feel free to go and bid on those early Cubs. If you don't want the box, then the second one is the best value. If you watch it, AND DON'T bid on it until the last few minutes.. then you will be okay. I hope you already have an eBay account.. The first one is a real nice one, NIB box is pretty reasonable.

My 3 cubs are safely ensconced with a friend, and he will probably be getting the other ones.. I am not too happy with USPS at the moment.. they lost me cub :roll: :cry:

But go for it.. you may get lucky. I paid less than usual going values for the Cubs I bought.. patience is useful at times. However I see you are in a rush, so do what you got to do for your Uncle.

I am assuming that you want a #668 and not the 2008 RPRU Special Edition.. which isn't exactly what you want, but if that is the case, and you are willing to get the 2008 RPRU SE Cub, then Ken at Carter & Grunewald is the guy to help you out :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John68
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John68 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:52 pm

Also try Bull International, in Washington, PA. (now that I see you are from Blairsville.) 724-222-0450 They might have a few left on the shelf.

If you main concern is the ribbed hood and the exhaust stack, check with

http://www.bossenimp.com
and
http://www.dakotahtoys.com

and call both places. Tell them what you want to do, they are very knowledgable people. They both sell toy tractor parts. They also sell whole tractors, so you might be able to buy the exhaust stack or the ribbed hood and rivet it together, yourself. It's not that hard.
John

1953!! Farmall F-Cub, bought "new" on this farm in July 1955, in service from 1955-76 and sat 'til '93 when I did a total mech. resto on it & a quick coat of Rust-Oleum "Safety Red" paint. A full metal and paint restoration will be done.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Ebay bidding

Postby bob in CT » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:35 pm

It does not take nerve to bid at the last second. It takes Esnipe. For a small fee you can put your top price in and it gets bid in at the end of the auction. That way you are not participating in a bidding war and you either win or lose at your top price. Not "fair" to sellers, maybe, but good discipline for buyers so you don't get swept up in emotion and bid more that you really want to. I travel a lot and enter bids to be placed while I am on the other side of the world and could be 6-13 time zones out of whack. By being patient, I have bought things for a LOT less. All it takes are 2 people that "gotta have it now" like they are bidding on the very last item that will ever come up for sale. If you can wait them out a month or so, you can usually get what you want at a fair price or perhaps a bargain that will more than pay for the small Snipe fee.
http://www.esnipe.com
Just don't snipe me!
Bob in CT

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:18 pm

I have 2 reserved at my local IH dearler (Jacobis Sales and Service). I'll have lots of trouble keeping my boys away from the packages :D

deerejohn1953
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deerejohn1953 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Thanks for all the info fellas...I think due to time constraints I'm gonna just get that one for $70. It stinks I have to pay that much, but I know it'll be worth it. Do keep me posted if you see anything in the next day or 2 before I officially make the purchase!

Jim G

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:44 pm

I paid $35.01 for mine.I got lucky.GOOD LUCK!!!!Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Collector's Show & Tell”