This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical System

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:26 pm

George,

I wouldn't think that the points would wear any faster with the polarity reversed. If the polarity is reversed the contacts would wear just as much but reversed from the original. The current flow determines how and which contact wears (peaks vs pits).

The hole theroy I started investigating when I was about 16. I will be 49 in 8 days and still haven't figured it out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:39 pm

I just love these threads-getting into all this high tech debate. After reconsideration I agree with Bigdoggy. I thought, but can't find it anywhere, that the time constant would change on the cap if you reversed polarity but I haven't anything to support that. Anyway if you buy points and condenser they don't specify polarity. So the long and short of it is the ignition system doesn't care.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:44 pm

WKPoor wrote:I just love these threads-getting into all this high tech debate. After reconsideration I agree with Bigdoggy. I thought, but can't find it anywhere, that the time constant would change on the cap if you reversed polarity but I haven't anything to support that. Anyway if you buy points and condenser they don't specify polarity. So the long and short of it is the ignition system doesn't care.

That would make one wonder why the polarity is marked on the coil? To me it seems coil polarity would determine polarity for the points and condenser.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:58 pm

George,
The polarity is marked because both the primary and secondary windings are attached to the + terminal. Only the primary windings are attached to the - terminal. The coil will work either way but if connected improperly may cause damage over a long period of time. Also it may take much more voltage to create a spark. Resulting in a power loss.

I have a very good textbook that I can scan and send to Rudi explaining the ignition system. This may help clear up a few topics that have been brought up lately.

Rondell

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:26 pm

Bigdog wrote: I've heard theories on "hole" flow vs. "electron" flow (although it's been a few years and I probably don't remember much) and it gets a lot of arguments started between engineers and technical people.

Hole flow, versus electron flow theory, is just a theory. What actually makes elctronics work is smoke. Anytime the smoke leaks out, the electronic circuit quits working. If you can seal the smoke in, it will run forever!
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:05 am

I was under the impression that the hole vs. electron flow only had relevance inside semiconductors. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

We have gone around on the behavior of coils and if positive and negative ground coils are different. I'm not convinced I have heard a satisfactory exlanation yet. Not going to take the time to dig into my reference material now either.

Whichever way a system is grounded, the condenser is what keeps the points from burning. To do that, the capacitance has to be the right value. If it is too low, the points burn from spark jumping one direction. Too high, they burn the other way. The correct value has to be effected by virtually any change to the system. Reversing the ground and coil connections has to make a difference. I would expect ballast resistors and anything else in the circuit to make a difference too. If you believe the engineers did a erasonable job of selecting the condenser in the first place, any change has to be detrimental to ignition point life.

By the way, all 6-volt Cubs were originally positive ground, including the '62 models.

Indianbrad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46011

Re: Electrical System

Postby Indianbrad » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:35 pm

In regards to positive and neg. grounding, I restore antique cars and trucks, there where only a very few that were positive ground.
When ever you convert a car or truck from positive ground to neg ground you must change the wire that feeds power to the coil to the oppisite side of the coil If you do not you will run the risk of the coil blowing up and the points can and often do burn up. And belive me it is no fun when a coil explodes hot oil in your eyes and. You will also must swap the wires on the voltagetor regulator.you will need to change the wires on the amp guage also.Hope this might help you

Return to “Farmall Cub”