This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Something to haul em with

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Something to haul em with

Postby Donny M » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:12 pm

Bigdog went for tractors I went for trailers:

18ft. Carson brakes on both axels. Not as good of deal that Bigdog got. We should be calling him Dirtydog. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good for you Bigdog :!: :!: :!:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:41 pm

Donny:

Nice aquisition :!: :)

How many Cubs can you safely haul on it - 2 or 3 :?: :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:52 pm

Nice looking trailer Donny. I am sure its gonna get a lotta miles fast on it with 15 round trips to Texas & back. Is it a tilt bed?. You need to add some color to it to contrast all that black lest your gonna name it John`y.
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:30 pm

18 footer will handle 2 cubs with ease with some room left over for implements.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:41 am

Rudi,

The trailer would handle the weight of 3 Cubs but it would be difficult to get them on and tied down safely. For now I'm satisfied to haul 2. GVW is 7,500 lbs. Better than what I had. :!: :!: :!: Nothing.

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:06 am

That's a sweet trailer there! How thick is the wood floor?? I have a 16footer like that but without the tilt at the end. Looking at that parkin spot; the first thing I'd get is a pair of those curved wheel chocks that go between the tires. Mine is red all over save the wood floor. I have some stake sides to make .....someday!........ :roll:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:05 pm

Marion,

The floor is 2x10 douglas fir. It looks like they would be difficult to replace as they are secured with welded angles. I need to make some short stake sides for it but like you that will be someday. :lol: :lol: :lol:

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:20 pm

Donny,

My heavy trailer has a steel deck, but my light one is built like yours. It's easy to replace a plank. They are simply bowed and snap in place.

You can maybe haul 3 Cubs if you dovetail two of them like they loaded them on flatcars...with the right fronts of each between the axles of the other. IH did it with a crane, but I think two good drivers could do it.

My heavy trailer is 16', but the rear 2 1/2' is sloped. When I haul a wide and a narrow one, they fit on the flat part with the narrow fronts of the rear one between the wide rears of the front one.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:34 pm

George,

I was thinking that I may be able to dovetail the 3 but was a little worried about the balance side to side. The bed is 83" wide so it shouldn't be too much trouble to get them loaded. What experience have you had with this?

Thanks for the info on the planks.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:14 pm

Donny M wrote:George,

I was thinking that I may be able to dovetail the 3 but was a little worried about the balance side to side. The bed is 83" wide so it shouldn't be too much trouble to get them loaded. What experience have you had with this?

Thanks for the info on the planks.

Donny,

I haven't had a trailer wide enough to do it, so I can't report first hand. With an 83" wide trailer, I'd be tempted to load the front one cross wise. For safety in loading, I'd provide some kind of stop to run against. I'd also add some kind of bulkhead to the front of the trailer to help keep the load out of your back pocket!

All that might be handy if you have to move your brood long distance to TX.
George Willer

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:56 pm

Marion,
I miss spoke earlier, the deck is 2x6 not 2x10.

George,
I had been thinking of turning 1 Cub sideways on the trailer but I'm not sure that the overhang would be legal. I guess I should check with the CHP.

Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:45 pm

Hey George, what brand of "wheel chuck" is that in front the rear tire of that back Cub :wink: :lol: :twisted:

Guy
'55 Cub, (but always shopp'n!) '02 Kub, '57 Ford 640

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:55 pm

Shopp'n Cubs wrote:Hey George, what brand of "wheel chuck" is that in front the rear tire of that back Cub :wink: :lol: :twisted:

Guy

Milwaukee's best. It's one of the popular brands at our Portland get-together.
George Willer

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:32 pm

The planks on my trailer are under a piece of 2x steel on the back but only a 1 inch piece on the front. If cut to the right length, new wood can be slid under the rear, dropped into place and slid forward until it stops. This leaves each end held by one inch. When I got it, one screw held each plank from moving around. When I redecked, I never put any screws in. Now one has slid back enough to get out from under the front hold down and I can't get the &^%* back in place.

My dad's truck(s) had a 12 foot rack. It was fairly standard procedure to haul 2 tractors (larger than Cub size). Tricycle types were pretty easy. If they had wide fronts, they had to be overlapping like George suggested. You just had to load/unload them together.

As far as I know, the legal width on all interstates is 102". State highways in most, but not all, states is the same. Others are 96". Length of a Cub is between those 2 figures. The trailer does not have to be as wide as the load, as long as overall is inside the limits. This doesn't mean you won't run into some moron with a badge. Also on a narrower deck, you are probably gong to end up with more overhang on whichever side the rear of the tractor is on. Since the rear is already the heavy end, you will end up with the weight off center. Being heavy on the left is preferable to the right because of the crown of the road.

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:13 am

Speaking of legal road stuff: If anywhere on your trailer it is over 80" wide, it has to have the three red lights in the middle of the back.

Return to “Farmall Cub”