This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sweet Gum

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Junior
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sweet Gum

Postby Junior » Mon May 21, 2007 8:38 am

Hello. I live in Louisiana and I would like to kill some sweet gum trees. I cut them down and the sprout back. Is there some posion I can get to kill them? thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sweet Gum

Postby Dennis » Mon May 21, 2007 12:13 pm

Junior wrote:Hello. I live in Louisiana and I would like to kill some sweet gum trees. I cut them down and the sprout back. Is there some posion I can get to kill them? thanks

Any good brush killer should work on the sprouts and eventually kill the roots. You may have to mix some and pour it directly on the stump to finish them off completely (follow manufactures directions!) I had good success with Ortho brush killer.

Dennis

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 21, 2007 12:38 pm

I have peeled back the bark and used a little diesel. make axe cuts in the bark such that it leaves a little pocket into which you put weed and brush killer before you cut them down works too. You can do the same around the stump too if it not at ground level.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon May 21, 2007 7:36 pm

I use Round-up and Ortho Brush Killer on the sprouts. Spray them good. Wait two weeks then cut them back to ground level. It may take two years of killing the sprouts to kill the roots.

I put a steel fence post next to each stump - so I can find the stump when the grass is up. Helps when spraying and mowing.

Previously I had been cutting the tree off at ground level. Son convinced me to cut the tree off leaving a 4' tall stump. Helps greatly locating the stump and provides leverage after the roots rot off a bit.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Camo Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 41005

Postby Camo Cub » Mon May 21, 2007 10:34 pm

Eugene wrote:I use Round-up and Ortho Brush Killer on the sprouts...

Also, I've heard that "Reward" is a good option, too. It's normally sold to comercial busniesses. just be careful, it tends to kill anything it touches.

Make sure it's legal in your state.
"The Official un-official Cub Photographer."

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Mon May 21, 2007 10:41 pm

Make sure it's legal in your state.

wow - sounds like some nasty stuff :D lol I've also seen good results with the axe and diesel/ other fuels like beaconlight said.
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

John68
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John68 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:54 am

Great Grampa had a small apple orchard. He used to say that from August to March, the tree feeds the roots and from March to August, the roots feed the tree. So, if you cut down the tree on the first of August, there is nothing to feed the roots for the winter, and the roots will die. Likewise, if you want to eliminate lots of growth from a tree without killing it, cut it on the first of March, and the roots will feed it and it will stay alive.

I am not entirely sure how accurate that is, but I can tell you we have a pearapple tree he grew, and every year we get pears and apples from it. Anyone who can figure out how to do that must be purdy smart.
John

1953!! Farmall F-Cub, bought "new" on this farm in July 1955, in service from 1955-76 and sat 'til '93 when I did a total mech. resto on it & a quick coat of Rust-Oleum "Safety Red" paint. A full metal and paint restoration will be done.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 22, 2007 8:01 am

When I was younger, we cleaned a lot of brush off neglected fields on the farm we bought in the 60s. We had one person cutting the brush with a circular saw on wheels, and another coming behind him with full strength brush killer in a can he applied to the stumps with a brush. We did find that if the brush killer was applied within the first minute we got about a 95% or better kill rate, if it went as late as 5 minutes before being applied it dropped to around 60%.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:52 pm

sweet gum trees ? I have one in my yard and they are a pretty tree, I love the fall colors as they change.
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Wed May 30, 2007 7:05 pm

Makes some mighty good chewing gum as well!!!

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:27 pm

Pete1941 wrote:Makes some mighty good chewing gum as well!!!

Chewing Gum ? how do you make it ?
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:15 am

Good morning John,

When we were kids, we would take a knife and cut a V-groove in either sweet gum or black gum trees, black gum is actually the best, and let the sap run out which would be real gummy. Every day or so we would go by and collect our chewing gum. Roll it into a ball and chew it. It doesn't hold together like regular chewing gum for long, but it had a wonderful flavor. I suppose that tradition stopped years ago, because of pollution etc. But back then we didn't worry about stuff like that and we also made snow ice cream, which I'm sure no one would do now because we have polluted Mother Earth so much. These were the GOOD OLD DAYS!! Pete

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Sweet gum

Postby Billy Fussell » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:18 am

I have tried sweet gum in the past. Found out not to try to chew it when it first bleeds out. It will stick to your teeth, and a dozen biscuts won't wear it off!! Mother said that when she was a kid, they put streach berries in it and you could blow a tiny bubble. She could never really describe to me what exactly a streach berry was or looked like. Said it grew on a bush and was about the size of a buckshot. I never found any.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: Sweet gum

Postby George Willer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:22 am

Billy Fussell wrote: She could never really describe to me what exactly a streach berry was or looked like. Said it grew on a bush and was about the size of a buckshot. I never found any.

Elderberry?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Sweet gum

Postby Billy Fussell » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am

It could have been, George. I just don't know. I mentioned huckleberry to her, but she said she knew what huckleberries were and that wasn't it.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”