This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another shift tower question.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Another shift tower question.

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:21 pm

This has been discussed somewhat before but I still have a question. On our shift tower where the shifter rod comes through, the hole was worn so large the top cover on the shifter rod barely covered the opening. So I formed & cut a piece of stock, tig welded it in and buffed it smooth. I bored a hole in the center .030 larger than the shifter rod. But now when I go to assemble it I have hardly any movement because of the size of the hole. If I go much bigger the o-ring that is shown in the parts manual to keep moisture out, will slip through. Do I need the o-ring in their and could someone inform me as to the correct size hole to put in it?

Sorry for the long post. I have really picked up a lot of pointers reading this board. Thanks for everyones help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:57 pm

Jeff,

The shift tower is a ball and socket arrangement, and the hole will only wear if the inner ball is broken loose from the lever. Do you have a way to grind the inside of the tower so the inner ball on the lever will fit right after you repair it? The size of the hole isn't really very important after the lever is fixed right.

The weather seal is against the outer shield, not the tower.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:43 pm

I thought jusut like you, Untill George explaind, Also the hole in the tower needs to be biger as the pivit point is there, thus the shifter needs the space. The shifter from the bottom side must go into the slots all the way or it won't be in gear all the way. The ball on the bottom of the shifter should be in good shape as well, That is what George is talking about, If it is not, the shifter moves farther thus whereing the tower hole larger. You may have to enlarge your tower hole now, and clean under the tower so the big ball rides smothly now. "Jack"

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:10 am

Jack Donovan wrote:I thought jusut like you, Untill George explaind, Also the hole in the tower needs to be biger as the pivit point is there, thus the shifter needs the space. The shifter from the bottom side must go into the slots all the way or it won't be in gear all the way. The ball on the bottom of the shifter should be in good shape as well, That is what George is talking about, If it is not, the shifter moves farther thus whereing the tower hole larger. You may have to enlarge your tower hole now, and clean under the tower so the big ball rides smothly now. "Jack"

Right, Jack. Actually, the hole will have to be enlarged quite a bit. The pivot point is actually the center of the ball, about 1 1/4" lower. Pivoting where it should increases the leverage quite a bit and makes shifting much easier. Whenever I work on one, I also lengthen the lever about 2". It doesn't seem to bother the correct police, and improves shifting even more.
George Willer

Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:45 am

Thanks guys for the response. I will take it to work tomorrow & bore a larger hole in it.

George, you say quite a bit larger. Now it is at .530. Would .750 be large enough or must it be still larger. Also where exactly does that o-ring go. My parts book shows it going over the ball end. That would put it inside the tower under the large shield ? that is attached to the shift lever. Is this correct? Does not look like it would keep moisture out. Thanks for your time again :? :?

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:10 am

Jeff,

It goes on the OUTSIDE, where the water comes from. Assemble in this order: Outer shield, O-Ring (that was originally a felt washer), Offset washer, spring, 2nd offset washer (with pin).

I don't know the correct diameter for the hole, but I imagine it is larger than 3/4". The original diameter where it was not worn would be a good clue if you can still see it on the inside. Just get rid of all the patch up to that diameter, and grind the rest smooth on the inside. It won't matter if the hole is a bit large.
George Willer

Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:52 am

Thanks George for your help.

Return to “Farmall Cub”