This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cole One Row Planter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LYNYRD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70453
Tractors Owned: 1974 IH Cub
1975 IH Cub
MF 135
TO-20
Ford 3000
12 D Harrow Plow
151 Disc Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Cole One Row Planter

Postby LYNYRD » Tue May 08, 2007 11:54 am

Anyone have photos/drawings of a 1 row cole planter attached to a cub, I have a one row cole planter that is set up for 3 pt. hitch, but would like to hook it behind cub to plant peas with. All help appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cole planter

Postby pete1941 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:17 pm

I don't have pictures of one set up on a Cub but I also have a mint condition Cole planter that still has the handles on it just as it was built. What I do is let the Missus drive the Cub, attach a short chain to the Cole planter, and away we go. Will watch this to see what everyone has. Pete

jschmitz1949
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jschmitz1949 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:34 pm

What I can say about the Cole-Powell planters is to be careful with the important pieces like the steel-shoe or any rubber chutes or sleeves or similar parts. Although Cole supposedly still supplies parts, you will have one h377 of a time getting parts through Cole. My Dad and I tried two different Cole distributors (we're in different states, and covered by different regions) for over 7 months and kept getting the same run around - first the parts were on the way, then they were on a cargo ship from China. I don't know what the real story was because it changed with every call.

I do know the John Deere 71 planter works just as well on the fast-hitch and will plant our 10 acres of pumpkins very nicely.

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

cole planter

Postby Jim Reid » Tue May 08, 2007 7:22 pm

check with Leinbach Machinery in Winston Salem,NC ihave bought cole parts from them in the past.
Jim

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue May 08, 2007 9:50 pm

jschmitz1949 wrote:
I do know the John Deere 71 planter works just as well on the fast-hitch and will plant our 10 acres of pumpkins very nicely.

I am not a big fan of Cole planters. They do OK for what they were, but I call them a half-step above the stock IH planters for the Cub. They certainly were popular in their time, but I don't know of anyone around me that uses them in the garden, behind a Cub or similar, that doesn't have to do some sort of juryrigging to make them work. The JD 71 and IH 185 are a quantum-leap above the Cole. They have double disk openers, rubber-tired press wheels and are just better engineered than Cole planters. Parts are also plentiful. I would say the double disk openers are the best advantage--your seedbed can be a little rough/cloddy/trashy, and the double disk openers will still place the seed right.
Here's an example, two planters mounted on a toolbar:

I don't have any direct experience with the IH 185, but it looks just like the JD 71. I understand they are very good planters as well. Here's two of them on a toolbar:
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

jschmitz1949
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: cole planter

Postby jschmitz1949 » Tue May 08, 2007 11:14 pm

Jim Reid wrote:check with Leinbach Machinery in Winston Salem,NC ihave bought cole parts from them in the past.
Jim

That's listed as a Cole dealership for that area. Those were the same types of people we dealt with already. We even talked with the Cole people directly, and simply put, the apparent incompetence at all levels (but especially Cole directly) was painful to bear.

My Dad kinda wanted to fix up the Cole since it was a FH unit to start with. Instead, we bought a 71 that parts are readily available for and mounted it on a single point. As said, it is a much better built unit. The one my Dad found even has the front compaction wheel - adding to it's features. The downfall is the 71's didn't have an original fertilizer attachment. It'll just have to wait till next years planting because there's not time to rig that up in the next few weeks.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed May 09, 2007 7:11 am

The Cole planter is pretty much horsedrawn technology, they have been making these things since the earth was cooling.....when my dad started farming in the 1960's that was the first new planter he had, two Cole's mounted on a three point hitch IH cultivator with a 2-point fast hitch adapter so he could pull it with the 230. To give you an idea of how "good" an outfit it was, as soon as he could he bought a USED JD planter to replace it. (It was a JD 25B IIRC.)

Fertilizer attachments for the 71 and 185 were both separate units......both of these planters were made to be put on a toolbar, so that you could make it as many rows and as many row spacings as you wanted, limited by the length of the toolbar. YOu then had a hopper(s), fertilizer openers, drive system, etc. that mounted separately to the toolbar if you wanted to add fertilizer. The nice thing about a Cub is, if you have the fertilizer attachment for the 144 cultivator, you could apply fertilizer that way, and have the planter on the back.

I am 99% sure you could get a 185 with a factory fast hitch prong. IT would not be hard at all to adapt the 71 to the Cub, with either fast hitch or standard hitch.

What I'd really kinda like to try is to put one of these planters under the belly, on the 144 cultivator. I am sure it would be easier to come up with a hitch for the rear, but I'd still like to try it. :D

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall Cub”