tractor serial # vs. engine serial #

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

tractor serial # vs. engine serial #

Postby TexCub » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:07 pm

Does anyone know where I can find a table that compares engine serial #'s to tractor serial #'s? I need to order a generator belt and I know that my front bolster is a transplant. The majority of my casting dates are from mid 1953.

Based on TM's ranges on the correct belt, it appears somewhere mid-1953 is when one belt was replaced with another. Maybe something else can tell me which one I need. I don't have the magneto setup, my engine serial # is 37456. If I could finds general dates corresponding to the block serial # then I'd know which one I needed.

And since my casting dates are from around the time of the generator belt switch, I'm at a loss. Thanks for any help finding this table or explaining why one might need one belt vs. the other!!!


Dave
User avatar
TexCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: TX, Montgomery
Zip Code: 77316
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: tractor serial # vs. engine serial #

Postby Rudi » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:29 pm

TexCub wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a table that compares engine serial #'s to tractor serial #'s? I need to order a generator belt and I know that my front bolster is a transplant. The majority of my casting dates are from mid 1953.

Based on TM's ranges on the correct belt, it appears somewhere mid-1953 is when one belt was replaced with another. Maybe something else can tell me which one I need. I don't have the magneto setup, my engine serial # is 37456. If I could finds general dates corresponding to the block serial # then I'd know which one I needed.

And since my casting dates are from around the time of the generator belt switch, I'm at a loss. Thanks for any help finding this table or explaining why one might need one belt vs. the other!!!
Dave


Dave:

Don't make it too complicated. It really is quite simple. I do not rely on tables as it is easy to make a mistake when typing in the data, so I ALWAYS refer back to the TC-37 Parts Catalogs. One must learn how to read the Parts Pages.. which is what is needed to answer the question. Once you figure it out, the mystery is all gone. I used to obsess over it.. no longer do..

TC-37A Revision - 3 Group - 08 - Electrical - Page 02 shows the following:

Generator and Connections - For Tractors Equipped With Starting And Lighting System - Cub Tractors w/ Serial No. 221292 And Below:

Item #9 Part # 351 321 R1 Belt, Generator For Cub Tractors w/Serial No. 165152 And Below -

In either case your Cub will fit in this category. That would be the belt you need.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

User avatar
Rudi
Team Cub
Team Cub
 
Posts: 28471
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:37 pm
Location: NB Dieppe, Canada
Zip Code: E1A7J3
eBay ID: ve9rhs
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1951 Cub "Jethro"
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby TexCub » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:47 pm

Thanks, Rudi!!! I didn't even consider there were revisions to the "TC-37F" catalog. Only makes sense! The only consolation I find in asking these simple questions is that one day I'll be able to answer them for somebody else!!!! :D


Dave
User avatar
TexCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: TX, Montgomery
Zip Code: 77316
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rudi » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:42 pm

TexCub wrote:Thanks, Rudi!!! I didn't even consider there were revisions to the "TC-37F" catalog. Only makes sense! The only consolation I find in asking these simple questions is that one day I'll be able to answer them for somebody else!!!! :D
Dave


Dave:

That is exactly how I got from point a to point b... If it wasn't for Jim and the others helping me learn, I still would be strugglin. That is the beauty of this community, we all help or try to help each other.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

User avatar
Rudi
Team Cub
Team Cub
 
Posts: 28471
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:37 pm
Location: NB Dieppe, Canada
Zip Code: E1A7J3
eBay ID: ve9rhs
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1951 Cub "Jethro"
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Clark Thompson » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:14 pm

there is a easy way to tell what generator belt your tractor will need. If it has the small generator drive pulley on the fanhub then it will take a 21 inch belt. if it has the large drive pulley then it will need the 22inch belt. the small generator drive pulley is close to the same diameter as the fan drive pulley. the larger generator drive pulley is larget then the fan drive pulley.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.
Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 1485
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:01 pm
Location: Hubbard Ohio

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:41 pm

Clark Thompson wrote:there is a easy way to tell what generator belt your tractor will need. If it has the small generator drive pulley on the fanhub then it will take a 21 inch belt. if it has the large drive pulley then it will need the 22inch belt. the small generator drive pulley is close to the same diameter as the fan drive pulley. the larger generator drive pulley is larget then the fan drive pulley.


Clark:

Check the top of the forum cause guess what :!: :?: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

User avatar
Rudi
Team Cub
Team Cub
 
Posts: 28471
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:37 pm
Location: NB Dieppe, Canada
Zip Code: E1A7J3
eBay ID: ve9rhs
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1951 Cub "Jethro"
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM


Return to Farmall Cub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests