This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Best way to load rear tires on a H

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
99roushford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Best way to load rear tires on a H

Postby 99roushford » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:12 pm

Hi Guys, I am finally getting around to reload my H tires.If I remember right Jim advised me it would take 42 gal of water and CaCl that would be 398# per wheel. The cost would be $1.50 a gal. I have two other options. One is to use Ballasiar it is non corrosive, freezing point the same, weight the same only it si $2.50 a gal. There is a local farmer who has a bunch of wheel weights from a H pulling tractor he ran on the local circuit years ago. I don't know what he would get for them yet.How many would I need per wheel to equal the same 398# in each wheel? I know you can mount more the one maybe as many as 4. Trying to figure the cheapest way to go. Has any one used this Ballasiar?
Thanks for your time and have a great day.
Moe
ALL GAVE SOME AND SOME GAVE ALL.
REMEMBER THE VETERAN AND GOD BLESS AMERICA

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:37 pm

This is just an opinion, and you will probably get many more responses like this, but I would go with wheel weights over loading the tires, if it were me.

If you load the tires, you are stuck with them. If you puncture a tire, you will have to re-load it. Also, of you ever change the use of your tractor, or need to use it for something in your lawn, where the extra weight will be damaging, you are still stuck with the loaded tires. If you used wheel weights, you can always take them off, or add to them as needed.

My guess, and this is definitely a guess, the weights for an H will be somewhere around 150# to 200# each, so that they are managable to handle. Therefore you would need probably 2 sets to equal loading the tires.

Another positive of buying the weights over loading the tires, weights are tangable and worth something. Fluid in the tires is not worth much to anyone.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:44 pm

Wheel weights are around 150# each. Three per side would do the job, but the manual only recommends two sets. Any guy who knows what he has will ask $.50 a pound for the wheel weights.

The benefit to loaded tires is that the weight is down low and being placed exactly where it is needed. It's going to be hard to beat $1.50 a gallon for the CaCl solution. That figures out to about $.17 a pound.

The blue windshield washer fluid can be had for $.88-$.99 a gallon and will remain liquid up to -20F. It'll be a little lighter, but non-corrosive and 33% cheaper overall if you pump it in yourself. Get it in 6-gallon cases at your local warehouse club.

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Redman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:28 pm

:?:
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: Best way to load rear tires on a H

Postby George Willer » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:00 pm

99roushford wrote:Hi Guys, I am finally getting around to reload my H tires.If I remember right Jim advised me it would take 42 gal of water and CaCl that would be 398# per wheel. The cost would be $1.50 a gal. I have two other options. One is to use Ballasiar it is non corrosive, freezing point the same, weight the same only it si $2.50 a gal. There is a local farmer who has a bunch of wheel weights from a H pulling tractor he ran on the local circuit years ago. I don't know what he would get for them yet.How many would I need per wheel to equal the same 398# in each wheel? I know you can mount more the one maybe as many as 4. Trying to figure the cheapest way to go. Has any one used this Ballasiar?
Thanks for your time and have a great day.
Moe

Several years ago I drained the fluid from 8 11.4-38 tires and re-mounted them all with new tubes. For reasons I can't explain I did fill a plastic drum and then ran the rest on the driveway. I don't want the drum full if anyone will come get it. I still have a couple sets of H-M weights if I ever need the weight. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:26 pm

I like the weight in the tires.I will be filling the ford [Tracys tractor],for plowing the garden.The tractor is to light to keep the rear end down.My H has fluid in them and I keep it in them.I.m thinking of one of the cubs might get the fluid also.I don't like putting on and taking off weight.[my back my back!!]Ketcham George does not p/u weights anymore!!!He gets me to do it HAHA!!!!
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:44 pm

Ketchup, I'll give you my 2 cents worth witch is probably not worth 2 cents. I like loaded tires and believe its the most efficient method of gaining added traction. Of coarse it has before mentioned side effects, could leak out and isn't easily adjustable. As for corrosion I'm of the school that in most cases neglict is the biggest cuplrit. Most rusted out rims were originally loaded before most of us were even born. A freind told me if all you ever done was to reload with new tubes once every 10 yrs corrosion would probably not be an issue.
As for wheel weights I use 4 a side on mine. I don't have a pic right now but I installed 2ea. 1/2" dowel pins on each wheel long enough to accomodate 4 weights max. That makes loading the weights a snap. Then I secure them in the other 2 adjacent holes with long bolts bought from Mcmaster that are just the right length. I have different sets depending on how many weights I am using. I can load or unload in just a few minutes with this system and they are just as secure as individually bolting.
Something else to consider is,,, loaded tires will not rob power like wheel weights. When I get all 4 weights on a side it really feels a little sluggish pullin all that weight around in a flywheel motion. Loaded tires of equal weight you will hardly notice.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:43 pm

according to the manual, weights for the H weigh 187 pounds each. The book shows mounting up to 3, but does not say this is the limit. In my area H wheel weights are pretty cheap, most salvage places have piles of them they can't get rid of.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:44 am

John,

Could it be that they have piles of them they can't get rid of because they want 50 cents a pound?

187 pounds, eh? I must be stronger than I feel :) Always thought they were closer to 150. Two sets of weights would pretty much equal loaded tires if that's the case. That's what I might do for mine instead of loading the tires. Dad's got an extra set laying around.

Dad has 5 or 6 sets on the 1066, plus loaded tires. I would be a little wary of adding more than two, maybe three sets to an H, though.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:22 am

I can check if you want, but the last time I talked to him, he was real happy if he could get 25 per weight.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

99roushford
10+ Years
10+ Years

LOADING 'H' TIRES

Postby 99roushford » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:52 pm

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE GUYS. I CAUGHT UP WITH THE TWO BROTHERS WHO RUN THE FARM THAT HAS THE PULLING TRACTOR. I HAVEN'T GOT A PRICE YET FROM THEM ON THE REAR WHEEL WEIGHTS. THEY ARE TRYING TO GET ME TO BUY THE WHOLE TRACTOR AND ALL THE EXTRAS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITH A H WITH A BIG BLOCK FORD V8 IN IT AND THOSE MONSTER TIRES ON IT. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS BALLASIAR? IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE THE LATTÉS AND GREATEST FOR LOADING TIRES BUT I HAVEN'T FOUND ANYONE YET WHO ASE USED IT.
MOE
ALL GAVE SOME AND SOME GAVE ALL.

REMEMBER THE VETERAN AND GOD BLESS AMERICA

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:01 pm

Not to go against anyone here, But the large round weights for the rear of an H or M are 140# or just a little over. Thats from the pulling scales. There are alos some weights out there that have lime M&M or something on them that are close but a little heavier. The split weights I do not know. I run 4 weights on each side of my H and up to 6 on my SM. You will not get the traction you will with loaded tires. The loaded tire helps distribute the tread on to the ground with weight.
Now If you go to tractor supply and get the water hose nipple you can do this your self and if you live where its warm or set a date on your calender you can load them with the garden hose and then take a day before winter to unload them . Or if you live where its warm you will not need to or need just a little of something in there. My neighbor loads his front and rear wheels ever year and Sometimes he even fogets to unload them I do not know how full he has them but they do not freeze and break the tire or tube. And it can get to 20 below zero easy here. Last year he was planting corn with a 730 JD and he pulled up to the house hooked the water up and filled them up and 20 min later he was planting again. He takes them to a pull he pulls the valve stem lets them go right there then he uses an air hose hooked to his Brakes I guess to pump them up.
JON

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:34 pm

A special nipple that attaches to the inner tube to fill tire?I need one of those.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:19 pm

This is one type of valve:

Here is a link:

http://www.gemplers.com/tiressupplies/liquidballast

They also have the CaCL.

See the part about adding lime to the CaCL under Liquid Weight:

The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:24 pm

Hey thanks!!!!This is great info!!I'm ordering one in a few mins.I was going to call a guy in a few days to put some in Tracys tractor.This saves time and money[allways good to do that!!!]Ketcham ps I have one on orderThanks Dan

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”