This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub loader materials

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub loader materials

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:31 pm

A mechanical engineering degree, an old stick welder and half an idea how to use them is TRULY a dangerous combination, gents.

This is a question primarily for billyandmillie, though you're all welcome to comment of course: What kind of material did you use for the arms and frame of the loader on your backhoe Cub? Looks like square/rectangular tube, but what dimensions?

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:49 pm

Hi Matt. Remember, mine is altogether different than the IH 1000. Same principle, but totally different. My steel tube for the arm is 2"x6"x1/4"wall, and the vertical post is a thick 4"x4"square tube that I cut the slot out with the plasma for the arm to fit into, with a 1" pivot pin. I used 1/4" plate to make the gussets where the arm makes it bend. I also built everything off of the backhoe sub-frame that was part of the Woods Kubota package that the backhoe was originally on. Let me know if you need any more measurements, but I kinda' winged it to make things fit. I also found the brand new bucket at an auction and re-worked it to fit my needs.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:39 pm

as aways anything Rick "winged it" looks better than most factory built
can post pics or some measurements. Also Rudi has the manual on his server with some good break out diagrams

Ron

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:32 pm

Thanks Rick!

It just so happens that I have access to a bunch of 2x6 1/4" wall tubing.

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:01 pm

Matt, I built a single arm loader roughly 9 years ago in my garage with a 60 year old Marquette buzz box. It was based on pictures of a IH1000 i got from someone on the ATIS boards. I built it in my garage at college during winter semester and didn't have the cub there to go by, just measurements i had taken of it. I didn't have measurements of the loader either, but following the pictures i was able to guess at most of them.

I used 5x5x3/16" square tubing for the arm, and 4" channel for the mounting frame and other structural areas. The main column was also 5x5 tubing, i capped both ends of it and welded it to a 1/4" base plate, then gusseted the post to the plate, then made a matching plate on the frame so the rig could be bolted/unbolted from the mounting platform for ease of removal and mounting. I then bored holes as needed and made the post into a aux. tank for oil. I used 2 pieces of scrap tubbing on the sides of the post for the pivot points for the arm. Lotsa grease zerts. The bucket i made of scrap material i had, maybe 3/16". I think it was 36" wide. I used a 3" bore one way cylinder for the arm and a 2" 2 way for the bucket. The cylinders and control valve came off a IH combine. I made a quick and dirty by-pass block for the TC in machine shop at school.

It worked fairly well, i used it a few times, but i wanted it for dirt and i learned pretty quick a cub is hard to steer and overloaded with a bucket of dirt. It would be fine for snow and loose mulch or dirt, but i wouldn't want to get into anything too hard or heavy for fear of breaking something. I recently began recycling the loader for other projects. It was fun to build tho.

I recently began the planning stages of a backhoe attachment for my cub. It will basicly be a plan i have of a small trailer hoe converted to mount on the cub. Won't be super heavy but heavy enough for the cub and my needs. But that will be next winter, got alot of scrounging for parts to do, let alone other stuff.

Bhaeck
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 88220
Tractors Owned: 1964 Cub Lo-Boy Aurburn trencher #18199

Re: Cub loader materials

Postby Bhaeck » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:46 am

don't suppose any of you that made these loader still have the general dimensions around? would sure love a picture and a few rough measurements so when I make mine. can also give me a idea what to start collecting for parts.

yaume
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby yaume » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:58 pm

hello,

here is the story of my home made one (whether you can read french).
http://vieilles-soupapes.grafbb.com/t33 ... eur-maison
Unfortunately most of the pics are not anymore available, especially plans, and I didn't kept them :oops: .
as far as I remember, Rudy saved most of them on his server. you should PM him to ask if he still has them.
what makes my cub very rare is that it's the only one I've ever owned.

Bhaeck
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 88220
Tractors Owned: 1964 Cub Lo-Boy Aurburn trencher #18199

Postby Bhaeck » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks will do