This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Best way to level a field?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Best way to level a field?

Postby Lance Leitzel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:26 pm

I have a really rough field beyond the front yard of my house. It currently just has some sort of ground cover fescue and random bits of weeds in it. The downside is that I have to bushhog it once a month to keep it looking like someone lives in the house. The field hasn't been used for any farming for years and is quite uneven. I'm afraid it will mess up my cub, so I bushhog it with a framed tractor, but have to go pretty slow even on it to avoid destroying it and me. The rises and falls of the land are between 8" & 12" in spots and looks quite a bit like the surface of the moon, at least to my backside. :roll:

So, what's the best thing for a guy to do? I have access to some heavier tractors than my cub, along with some implements, like a pretty good sized disc harrow. Am I thinking on the right track to just disc some of it every year and then reseed it? I assume rises and falls of this size would be too much to hope that a roller might be able to fix? (and I don't have access to a roller, but that would be a fun project all by itself)

Thanks for any insights. Lance
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:40 pm

:arrow: My field next to the house was pretty much as you describe. Very rough on body and tractor to mow it. I just ripped it all up with scarifier sweeps and then disced it good. After the discing I drug an 8` l-beam over it and it floated out nice and even. :P
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:54 pm

Lance, if you can catch it in the spring before the ground gets hard and really dry you can disk it. But disking sod usually leaves a lot of clumps which end up making things worse. I think it would be worth plowing the sod under and then working the ground with a heavy disk. You could then drag it level or even roll it. If it is is good shape after disking you could seed it and then roll it. A couple of seasons should put it into lawn-like condition.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Sounds like a good plan. This might fit into my plan for, "I'll turn a little bit of it each year into a garden", at least the area I plowed for my garden makes it look like I'm trying there.
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi Lance

I agree with Bigdog. Plow and disk the field. And if you have a 54 blade you can hook it up in the grader position and have some fun smoothing it out. You can run a windrow across it and back to fill in holes and correct grade so you will not have any puddles when it rains.

I do not know if you have seen this but this is my yard that I did this spring. http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12985 When it rained I would end up with two water holes one about 20 foot long.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

TJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72455

Postby TJ » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:23 pm

Anykind of heavy drag behind your disk will smooth it out.Ex. pipe i beam even cut down a tree and use the log out of it .Just don't use a dead tree.It won't be heavy enough to do what you want.
1972int.cub , c-3 int mower , 54a blade
1950 M farmall "under construction"

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary who would know? from uncle johns bathroom reader

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:21 am

Lance
time to use that plow and disk you got last fall.
sure the bigger equippment is faster but is it as much fun??
your oldest is old enough to help dad drive you sit on the seat and he stands between your legs and drives. that is how my grandpa taught me.
I think you have a loboy and the blade won't center mount under there and lift up.
Ron

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Lance,
A couple of years ago my father and I started clearing and leveling a field at my Great Uncle's farm. We were suprised to find that after we plowed and tilled it, and graded it out a little, Kentucky Bluegrass came up naturally, without seeding. Now it is one of the nicest lawns in Miamisburg, OH, just about 45 minutes north of you.

I like your idea. Make your garden in a different place each year, and next thing you know, your lawn will be level.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”