This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

When to turn in cover crop ???

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Steve Ruddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

When to turn in cover crop ???

Postby Steve Ruddy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:25 am

I planted my first garden using our Cub last year. It turned out great. So after the season I plowed all the vegetables under, then ran the disc over it and planted a cover crop. The cover crop is a mix of Dundale Peas, Common Vetch, Bell Beans, Barley, and Oats. My question is when to I plow this under? I have seen a few wineries mowing their cover crop. I plan on starting to plant in mid to late March.
Steve Ruddy
Guerneville CA

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:20 pm

Steve,

One of the benefits of a cover crop is the protection from excess soil erosion. Therefore, begin plowing within a week of when you want to plant. As your cover crop decompose it will provide nutrients to the crops you plant.

I don't know your soil type, but I can say this with certainty, don't plow or otherwise work your ground when it is to wet. Trust me you will regret it.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Steve Ruddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Steve Ruddy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:16 am

OK Thanks, I'll wait.
Steve Ruddy

Guerneville CA

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:47 pm

if this ground is level ground then I would plow it about the first of March as long as it was dry enough. if you dig in the garden and grab a handful of dirt and squeeze it it should retain its shape barely with a little crumbling and be easy to break up. if retains it shape and does not crumble let it dry some more. the cover crop helps pull the moisture out of the ground fast. Once plowed then drag it and work it with the disk 4-5 inches deep.then disk again once each week a little shallower each time finishing up about two inches deep at planting time. This kills the weeds off that got brought up to the top.
MAKE SURE the ground is always dry enough before working it mudballs are a big no no
Ron

Steve Ruddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Steve Ruddy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks for the tips Ron
Steve Ruddy

Guerneville CA

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”