This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

gravel

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
coachgrd
10+ Years
10+ Years

gravel

Postby coachgrd » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:47 pm

Hi guys...I don't post here often but I read regularly. Anytime I have a question of any kind, I always know where I can get an answer.

Anyway, do any of you know a rule of thumb to go by when estimating gravel needed to top a driveway? I'm looking to lay some 2B down on the 190' drive and wonder how many tri-axel loads it would require. I'm thinking that a thickness of 2-3" would suffice.

Thanks for any direction you might provide! :)

Gary

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:12 pm

coachgrd,

Let's figure it. A driveway 190 ft. long and 10 ft. wide, and a thickness of 3 inches. The calculation would be 190X10X0.25(3 inches is one quarter of a foot)=475 cubic feet. Divide this by 27(number of cubic feet in a cubic yard)=17.6 cubic yards. If I remember right, a cubic yard of gravel is ~2,200 lbs., or slightly over 1 ton. Multiply 17.6 times 1.1(2,200 lbs.)=19.4 tons, which is what you would need for a driveway 10 feet wide by 190 feet long, 3 inches deep. You guys double check me on this, it's awfully late!!! Hope this helps.

ljw

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”