This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Solar-powered Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Solar-powered Cub

Postby Jeff M » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:08 am

I don't know how many of you browse YouTube, but I found this interesting video about a "1954 Farmall" (I don't think so!). Probably not for dial-up folks, I'm afraid....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R26RdfqG ... =1&t=t&f=b
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 am

Jeff:
That was neat .He's got more money than I. And proably right about the fossile fuels and the goverment.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

kuda
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kuda » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:20 am

That is excellent. That would be great to see in person. Maybe you can get him to a cub tractor show.

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:31 am

glad he picked a cub instead of a green tractor :lol: :!: i guess it would pay off in the long haul :!:
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:03 am

Hey Jeff...THANKS MY FRIEND :!: :wink: What a GREAT :idea: and it's no surprise that it comes from a Down East Mainiac Engineer either. It was GOOD to see WMTW Channel 8 again :!: I haven't been up in your neck-o-the-woods for sometime! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

PKS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PKS » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:13 am

Jeff:

Very interesting post. Electric farming in 50 years? Sounds ambitious to me and I am not a farmer. I am all for a better enviornment but the beauty and simplicity of the Cub dissapears with its solar outfit.

Paul
Be The Change You Wish To See In The World ---

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:42 am

That solar powered Cub was featured in an article in MotherEarth News. The article stated that Howe has $5000- in the conversion plus the cost of the tractor.

If you will notice the engine is still in the tractor and that you don't get a good look at tractor or its solar power set up.

I'm a skeptic. It this were a true solar powered, Cub then the clutch and or crankshaft would have to be removed or the tractor operated with the clutch depressed when operated with solar power. If the crankshaft and or clutch were removed, why leave on the exhaust and other unnecessary parts for solar operation. :?:

There is a renewable energy center in New Bloomfield, Missouri sponsored by one of the religious based TV stations. They have a W series Allis Chalmers tractor that has been converted to solar power.

Eugene

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:50 am

I assume he has the clutch blocked down, or removed, since I see an eletric motor and drive pulley on the rear running th pto shaft. Leaving the motor in would make sence in my area due to sun only being available to chrge batteries part of the time. We don't get neough sun to keep the batteries charged on Mom's gate opnener in the winter sometimes.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:13 am

I'm a skeptic. It this were a true solar powered, Cub then the clutch and or crankshaft would have to be removed or the tractor operated with the clutch depressed when operated with solar power. If the crankshaft and or clutch were removed, why leave on the exhaust and other unnecessary parts for solar operation.

I'm happy he chose a Cub for his experiment, but I'm HUGELY skeptical. As we can easily see, the solar panels are charging batteries and the tractor is running on that battery power. Nothing new here. What's important and hasn't been mentioned is how much work can be done using the batteries and how many days will be required to recharge the batteries using those tiny solar panels. It shouldn't be necessary to carry the solar cells along with the tractor except for theatrical reasons. To be possibly practical the solar panels should be the entire barn roof.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:34 am

Until I see something with specifics to convince me otherwise, I'll consider it to be substantially a hoax. The stories all make it sound like it is running in real time off the solar panels. That isn't happening, for the reasons GW cited.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:32 pm

The solar powered W series Allis from New Bloomfield, Missouri is strictly battery operated. The engine has been removed and there are no solar panels on the tractor. The TV station features a half hour energy program every weekday evening. Every once in a while, during a demonstration, you can see the battery powered tractor operate in the background. - Not part of the demonstration/presentation.

As far as battery/solar powered farm tractors in 50 years. Perhaps, but not with current day batteries. When I was a kid we farmed (machinery was running) 24 hours a day during spring tilling/planting and fall/winter harvest. 3 or 4 hours run time out of a set of batterys just wouldn't cut it in a farming operation.

Eugene

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:33 pm

I really would like to see this guy come on the forum and explain to us in detail how he did this and what the actual costs where. Also, as George and others stated.. the real test is how much work can be done... I can see this as a lofty goal, but as Eugene said.. when current battery technology can only provide say 2 or 3 hours per charge -- you would have to have a minimum of 8 tractors to do the work of 1 gas powered tractor. I see no advantage at all..

And I am hugely skeptical as well.

When it comes to solar power.. one just has to look at the annual solar powered car cross country run from USC to MIT I think it is. Lofty goals, brilliant ideas, good engineering.. good fabrication -- just not Economical by any standards..

Only place solar panels are really useful is probably on the ISS.. :!: :wink: :D

But HAY.. What do I know :!: :?: :wink: :roll: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:20 pm

Here's a link to another one courtesy of our old friend Lombard:

http://www.flyingbeet.com/electricg/
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:00 pm

We did some calculations last time someone mentioned this device.

First, as Jim pointed out, there is no vehicle this side of the troposphere that can run off of real time solar electric. So, putting cells on any solar-powered vehicle is merely a way to say "look!! this vehicle is solar-powered!!!!"

Even if one covered the barn roof, the amount of work the tractor would be able to do, without removing the heavy engine and transmission to offset the weight of the batteries, would be somewhat limited.

I think, last time we discussed this, we figured that optimally, the tractor might be able to do 3 hours of work at a time, and then require about a good week of charging, with a fairly massive solar array.

Now, for some of us......that'd do the job......for me, when plowing snow, or plowing fields, however, it would be a useless figure.

If you want alternative fuel for a small tractor, build yourself a wood gassifier....they sound like a real pain in the butt, but the technology is proven, and sound.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:30 pm

Another observation, note that in the video he is pulling a wheel rake with his magic tractor. I'd like to see him drop a plow in the ground.

Return to “Farmall Cub”