This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Broken tap removal

Tips and tricks on repairs to your Cub’s structure.
Rich Gregerson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Broken tap removal

Postby Rich Gregerson » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:39 pm

I just finished removing a broken tap from the Cub's radiator casting. Although at first I didn't know it, the broken off stud turned out to be a broken off tap. (No I didn't do it!) I tried to drill it first. The special drill bit that I bought wasn't special enough. I jigged it onto my metal lathe and used a HSS end mill. It wasn't "Special" either.

I finally ended up using a Dremel tool and a bit with an cylindrical abrasive end on it about 1/8" dia. x 3/16" long. I didn't think it would do the job - just break up or not cut at all or load up and quit cutting. I used it just like an end mill. I kept blowing the hole clean with compressed air. It took a WHILE and 2 bits, but I cut through the tap and picked out the pieces (of course, the hole was off center by now and not circular). I then drilled the hole true with a tap drill and tapped it for an oversize threaded plug which was then cut flush with the surface.

Finally, I center punched the plug where I wanted and drilled and tapped for 1/4 - 20 thread since the other holes were that size. Just as easy as pie! Don't sell that dinky Dremel setup short.

Hope this helps someone.

Rich
It wasn't broken, but I fixed it anyhow.
It's now broken and I can't fix it any way.
I have leftover parts somewhere.
I hope to reassemble it someway.
Then I can re-fix it somehow,
And hope to drive it some day!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:20 am

Rich, I have never used it for that particualr applicatiion, but a variable speed Dremel has saved me uncounted hours and expense. I have a medium sized tackle box I carry to hold the large number of bits I have, including some very small diamond coated grinders in cylinder and tear drop shape, slighly smaller than a kitchen match head, which probalby would have been a great tool for that job.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Frame/Sheet Metal”