This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall A front pully and clutch

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
stevea
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall A front pully and clutch

Postby stevea » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:31 am

Hey guys, I'm working on restoring my grandpa's farmall A. The pistons are stuck in place. I've soaked them for several month, but finally decided that I have to hammer them out. I have the engine block removed from the tractor. I'm now trying to figure out how to remove the clutch and front pully from the engine block. Any good ideas?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:46 am

Steve, the sleeves in an A or wet sleeves, so why not just knock the lseeves out and get a rebuild kit. The crankshaft pulley is pressed on like a cub, if you do a search for puller you will find instructions and a puller. the one differnece is there is not a threaded hole in the shaft as there is in a cub.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

stevea
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby stevea » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:12 pm

While the tractor was sitting for several years, the engine block froze and cracked. I have since aquired another block. I was hoping to see what all is salavagable from the stuck engine. I'm wanting to reuse the clutch, pully, crankshaft, and maybe pistons/sleeves. Tractor was not smoking when it was parked years ago, but I'm willing to replace pistons/sleves if I need to. I was guessing that the front pully was pressed on similiar to a cub, but I wanted to make sure before I started pulling on it. I've seen many of the posts concerning a cub pully and will build a similar puller. My other question is how to remove the clutch. Is it pressed on also, or is there a bolt or something that I'm missing?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:16 pm

Very early A's had a setscrew in the pulley, so you better check for it.

Are you asking about the main engine clutch? Held on with a circle of bolts, just like . . .

stevea
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby stevea » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:53 pm

Well, I got the clutch removed today, and I've started working on making my pully puller. Any body know the size of the bolt that I need to screw into the shaft?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:14 pm

Press out the pistons and sleeves. Heat the piston and sleeve in the bbq pit. When nice and hot try pressing the piston out of the sleeve.

If it works you may be able to use the piston, sleeve and rod. If not -.

Eugene

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:18 pm

Steve, I dont't think Teh shaft on an A is threaded the way a cub crankshaft is.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:08 pm

I have pulled them off a super A and a B and they both had threads for 1/2" coarse.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”