This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

ford 801 selectomatic transmission...

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

ford 801 selectomatic transmission...

Postby jakeesspoo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:30 pm

We have a old ford "selectomatic" with a front end loader, the type that has push buttons to put in and out of gear. We use it at my grandmothers house to clear the woods, mow with brush hog etc. Problem is it seems to fall right out of gear while moving. It doesnt sound different, the hydraulics and pto work but it just stops. To get it going again you either have to shift it to neautral or go to a higher gear and risk popping a "wheelie". I know this doesnt sound like a easy fix of any kind and I dont want to put any more money into it than necessary due to its shape and age. Any thoughts on this problem would be appreciated. I dont know of anyone else with this tractor....thanks, Jake

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:37 pm

Jake, I don't know a darned thing about them except that they have a bad reputation of always having something wrong. Everyone has told me to stay far, far away from a Ford Selecto-matic.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:52 am

Jake,
I worked for a Ford Ag dealer in the late 70's. The cost to rebuild a selectomatic was $2000 1979 dollars.
They would not take one in as a trade in. Company policy was never leave one idling in neutral as they would drop into gear when worn.
Best,
Mike

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

trans fluid

Postby jakeesspoo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:25 am

mike do you know where the tranny fluid goes into this tractor. Just wondering if you remembered...

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:01 am

mike do you know where the tranny fluid goes into this tractor. Just wondering if you remembered

Sorry, It's been too many years. It's probally aft of the steering wheel :lol:
Best,
Mike

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”