This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

McCormick / Farmall Planter Before and After

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Murphy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48444

McCormick / Farmall Planter Before and After

Postby Murphy » Thu May 05, 2016 1:55 pm

Thought you all might want a look at my new toy. A friend of a friend (90 year old farmer) used this planter for over 50 years to plant corn on a 500 acre parcel.. It sat unused since the mid 80's and just rusted. He was going to have it taken to the scrap yard but my buddy suggested he give it to me..

This has been my winter project.

The entire unit was disassembled right down to the last screw, sheer pin and chain link... Sandblasted to clean steel, pickled in phosphoric acid, primed, painted and then baked. All old brass bushings replaced with modern pillow block bearings... The fertilizer hoppers had mice living in them and the urine rusted out the sheet metal and augers. The hoppers were replaced with 5 gallon buckets which fit the base plate perfectly and I rebuilt the augers and drive shafts out of 304 stainless steel.

The original fertilizer drop tubes had also rotted out so I made stainless steel fittings to adapt standard 1.5 inch swimming pool hose.

The original unit was designed to be towed by a horse but I've modified it to attach to a standard 3pt hitch on my tractor.
Attachments
After.jpg
Before.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: McCormick / Farmall Planter Before and After

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Thu May 05, 2016 1:57 pm

Very sweet ;)
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”