This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No oil pressure on gage?...

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

No oil pressure on gage?...

Postby jakeesspoo » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:57 pm

I have been running my AC WD-45 for a few hours at a time and it runs pretty well for how old it is, with some oil leaks here and there. My question is...my oil pressure gage is located right next to the oil filter, coming off of it maybe. I am reading no oil pressure on my gage. It is even a brand new gage and I have changed the oil and filter and blew out the small lines coming from oil pump and engine and still see no reading. The oil filter gets warm though and the tractor sounds good....what gives?....Jake

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:35 pm

Either the gauge doesn't work or you don't have any oil pressure.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:52 pm

Sounds as if the gauge is most likely defective since you mentioned the engine sounds OK. Gauges aren't very expensive and would be a good piece of mind.

A couple of years ago Earl made up a gauge test block where as you could thread in up to 4 gauges at one time and there was a calibrated master on the side. We had a hard time finding any gauges new or old that read correct. So now whether you have numbers or not I consider an oil pressure gauge a repeatable reference and not the true pressure.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:01 pm

Common problem with the W series Allis Chalmers tractors. The problem is most likely the wrong brand of oil filter. Only part of the oil being pumped goes through the filter. The correct oil filter is supposed to become saturated with oil thus limiting the amount of oil passing through the filter and back into the crankcase. The wrong oil filter doesn't provide a restriction and lets the oil dump back into the pan without building up oil pressure. Go to below listed site. Use the search function for a listing of the proper oil filter(s).

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_list.asp

Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:49 pm

The oil filters for W series Allis equipment to stay away from are NAPA and Wix. Also some people have reported problems with the AGCO filters.

The prefered filter is the Fram C159. I use the Hastings filter. Others have good success with Purolator and Baldwin.

Again, the wrong filter is a common loss of oil pressure.

Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:30 pm

Two more common oil filter problems with the W series Allis equipment.

1) When you remove the oil filter there is a pin mounted in the center of the oil filter base that goes through the center of the oil filter packing. Sometimes this pin gets pulled out with the old filter and is discarded with the old filter. This pin is hollow and permits oil to flow up into the filter.

2) This pin sometimes gets pushed down into the base blocking off oil flow to the filter. Since the oil filter gets warm I suspect there is oil being pumped into the filter. You will know for sure when you remove the current filter.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know about Allis Chalmers equipment and their peculiar oil filter problems.

Eugene

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:56 am

I have exactly the same problem with my Allis B,
Eugene do you know about these trhings on a B, if so are the same comments common for B? Also by chance do you have a reference for purolator or Fram
I have never changed the filter but the last owner dis about 60h ago, I will order another but all the pins etc worry me a bit, I don't want to take ther filter off to see as it is upside down and all the oil falls out when one takes it off, minor bad design fault!
Thanks
Pat

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:28 am

Pat:

Same problem with the B Allis and several other older Allis models with the oil filter base "added" to the right side of the motor.

Purolator = L30007
Fram = C159 - filter of choice
Baldwin = T300M
Hastings = Don't have the number.

The below listed site is in my opinion the best Allis site. Use the search function for a listing of the proper oil filter(s).

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_list.asp

Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:45 am

Pat:

Just let the tractor sit for an hour or two before you remove the oil filter. Most of the oil will drain out of the filter. There will be very little oil remaining. This filter is not hollow like automobile filters and does not have the check valves to hold oil in the filter. These filters are full of a cloth type packing.

There is only one pin (tube). To remove the filter just unscrew the filter then lift straight up until it clears the pin.

Eugene

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”