This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lanz Bulldog 5506 in Brittany

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Lanz Bulldog 5506 in Brittany

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:45 am

I have already warned th board that I was negotiating for a Lanz Bulldog, last night I was able to finalise the deal, but I daren't even think of the sum paid, let alone write it down! :oops: :oops:
So here it is....

So now I have to learn the complexities of a semi deisel engine and quite a lot of rust, Electrotank will have to be fired up again!
Note the interesting spokes to the back wheels.
Also the colour a very bright sky blue pink sort of colour, look at the axle mount. We have a hankering towards a nice rural green with the red wheels should look nice.
Going to pick it up at 1300h tomorrow Saturday! Wish us luck
PS sorry John and others for the photos and long download, forgive me please, just this once!
Pat & Noëlle

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:00 am

Looks like quite a project, please keep us posted on the progress. Rigs like that fascinate me.

The pictures on this post don't create a problem on dialup, it's when there gets to be 5 or 6 of them, or thye are large (considerably bigger than screen) that they become big enough to create a problem.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:46 am

interesting piece. sure would attract a crowd at a show stateside :D 8) 8)

how unique is that unit over there?
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:12 pm

artc wrote:interesting piece. sure would attract a crowd at a show stateside :D 8) 8)

how unique is that unit over there?

In this part of france there are not a lot of this model, quite a number of the many other types of Lanz, especially the later more streamlined models from the 60/70's and lots of Societé Française, Viezeron etc. Of course in germany there are a lot of Lanz. It's the single cylinder and the Bonk-Bonk-Bonk of the exhaust beat that gets people going. I am very proud, after over 30 years since I first saw one, to be pickiing our own one up today.
Best wishes J*
Pat

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:02 am

Pat, my grandmothers hotel was right across the street from the train station in La Ferte Alais. Co-located was a grain elevator. As a youngster, I remember tractors towing large grain wagons to the elevator.
One such tractor got several comments when the particular farmer arrived.
I believe it was a single cylinder, and was started with a wooden peg inserted into a flywheel. The farmer would get it spinning, pull the peg, flip something by the steering wheel and KABOOM! Then it would start popping slowly, and the front wheels looked as if the were bouncing off the ground. My Dad just raved over it. Wish I had a better mental picture, or could remember the brand name.
That was one of many, many great memories..........thanks! :D 8)

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:12 am

HR
Am glad I was able to bring back a good memory from younger days for you.
Soulnds very much like a Single semi deisel to me, the most well known I think are Lanz, Vierzon, Societé Francais, in UK Field Marshal, Fowler, there are others, but as this is just a sally into previously unknown teritory I too am a little up to my neck in water, but starting to swim.
There is very little compression and the starter does not turn, yesterday I turned down the commutator on the starter and undercut the segments, later in the week I will have to go to Quimper to see if I can get replacement carbon brushes, then it should turn.
The electric starter is strange, it does not turn the engione over completely, as there is so much compression it has a system to turn the motor in the other direction so that the engine comes up on compression returns and comes up on the other end of compression, and repeats until enough pressure is exerted to compress the fuel enough to explode it.
This particular tractor has a trembler coil and spark plug and one starts on petrol (easier to combust) then you turn over onto Deisel. If not there is a Hot Bulb that you heat up to cherry red with a special parafin blowtorch, then carry out the same procedure just on diesel, somewhat like the heater plugs on a modern diesel engine.
There is no Sump (oil pan) as it is 2 stroke, but there is an oil pump from a reservoir which distributes oil to the needy parts.
This oil pump is of course hidden behind the flywheel which is keyed onto the crankshaft with a square key.
At present I am not dismantling the tractor, just getting to know it and how it works, then put it in a corner and it will be a project for the future.
Best wishes
Pat

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:46 am

Your explaination of your Lanz shows us why there were so many air start and poney engine diesels. Very interesting. Best of luck with it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

yaume
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby yaume » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:18 pm

So you finally got it!!!!

Guizzzz, I'm jalous...

How hard was to choose between A lanz, a pony, a vendeuvre, a dieselross (rare), and what I believe to be an ECO (very rare)????

I would have chosed like you.

do you know the brand of the 4WD one, I can't recognise it (motostandart maybe).

good luck for your restoration.
do you know this site, it could be helpful to restore a single cylindered semi diesel.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/marc.esprit/
what makes my cub very rare is that it's the only one I've ever owned.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:30 am

Hi Yaume, I can't remember the name of the 4WD next to the Lanz, but I'll send you a picture by Email this afternoon.
It was one that was just rejected to be put into the museum and is at present for sale as are a number of other interesting exhibits, should you be interested, contact me if you'd like to come and have a look.
PS It was made in austria just after the war using Chrysler parts, can you tell us the name?
PPS Thanks for the site i'll have a look later
Best wishes
Pat

yaume
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby yaume » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:35 am

Pat,

I can't recognize this tractor
I thought it was an agrip, but it's not
it looks like a "forest" tractor. I don't know anymore.

yaume
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby yaume » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:29 am

i think now it might be a "germinal"

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:51 pm

You are right,
For the board, excuse us with our private chat!
Pat

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:02 am

You are not excused. LOL we want to know all we can about old tractors, especially ones from your part of the country. We don't see or hear much about them. Please kep the discussion oging. I'd like to see more pictures of tractors form your part of the wolrd.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:15 pm

Ok John, Now I'm really going to sulk LOL!
I will post a few pictures of the tractor we are going on about that may be for sale for 3000 Euros and id definately a Germinal.
To go on another tack spelling and typing, I find more and more that I seem to be all thingers and fums on the keyboard and I seem to have forgotten Altzimer's first name.
Best wishes and good weekend John.
PS we are at a meeting this weekend I will post you some piccies to keep you warm over the autumn winters.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:33 pm

Pat no need to sulk. John means not excused in the manner of give us mor amd more and more.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”