This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tainted Spark from SparkPlugs

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tinkertoy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01560
Tractors Owned: 1966 IH Cub Standard
1988 John Deere 180
1949 F Cub
Built 1953 & 1949 Cubs to complete restoration for Les Paquette

Tainted Spark from SparkPlugs

Postby Tinkertoy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:12 pm

I was over a friend's house the other night....he had his Ohm meter out to show me something I never ran into before....Firstly, I'll share with you guys : gasoline fowled plugs with soot from too frequent starts and stops from a choked engine will cause an engine to not start....I worked for Oldsmobile for 20 years and experienced this time and time again on the new cars on the front lot....these were brand new cars and would not start unless we pulled the plugs and sandblasted them...the car would then start and run like a champ... now, to get back to my friend...he discovered in his lawnmower engine, that ceased running because of no spark...he pulled the plug and not like the soot fowled Oldsmobile sparkplugs, this one looked clean...he put his ohm meter across the threads and the other lead to the electrode and found no continuity....has any one else witnessed this?? He sandblasted the plug and retested it....like brand new again and the lawnmower fired right up... he thinks it was from ethanol in the gas. :tractor:
"Travel Light in Life~ Take only what you need...
A Loving Family...a few good Friends....Someone to Love...
Someone to Love You....Enough to Eat...Enough to Drink...
For Thirst can be a Dangerous Thing."

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Tainted Spark from SparkPlugs

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:47 pm

There shouldn't be continuity from the threads to the electrode. That is why the spark jumps this gap.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Tinkertoy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01560
Tractors Owned: 1966 IH Cub Standard
1988 John Deere 180
1949 F Cub
Built 1953 & 1949 Cubs to complete restoration for Les Paquette

Re: Tainted Spark from SparkPlugs

Postby Tinkertoy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:50 pm

I misprinted or mis interpreted what electrode.... the negative tab and the threads...not the center electrode that the spark jumps across....the part you bend to create an air gap and the threads....never seen this before
"Travel Light in Life~ Take only what you need...
A Loving Family...a few good Friends....Someone to Love...
Someone to Love You....Enough to Eat...Enough to Drink...
For Thirst can be a Dangerous Thing."

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”