This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator for UC-60 Power Unit

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Generator for UC-60 Power Unit

Postby Arizona Mike » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:46 pm

Would like to mount my UC-60 power unit on a trailer with a generator and panel to make a mobile power unit. Its my understanding that if I use a welder/generator I would not need a clutch as these are free spinning generators. Also, the pto generators I have seen seem to require a lot more HP to drive than would the welder.

My other question is of course, where can I find a generator like this without a power supply. The majors manufacturers don't sell just the "business end" of their product and i have no leads on used units yet.

Not sure as to how much electricty could be cranked out by the UC-60, but would like to get about 5000w continuous and 7000w surge. The manual for the UC-60 says its rated at 2700 rpm, but the engine runs about the same speed wide open as do the Cubs. Maybe the UC-60 needs a different governor, but 1800 rpm should crank out more than enough power with the right welder hooked up.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by Arizona Mike on Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:38 pm

I did some reading while shopping for Cub manuals at RPR. In 1970, the C-60 engine was rated at 13 hp at the flywheel without a fan, generator or hydraulic pump but still 9 hp at the drawbar at 1800 rpms. Don't know what the hp rating is for your UC-60 at any particular rpm. The numbered LoBoys power ratings of 15 and 18 hp are probably measured at the flywheel without accessories as well.

Figure on 2 hp per kw, so you can run a 5 or 6 kw generator from a Cub engine without a Cub attached. Your fan and generator will sap a little bit of power as well as the drive mechanism for the power head. You'll need to determine the loaded speed of your engine and calculate the pulley ratio for your particular power head's operating rpm. Determine the direction your power head must spin before building a mounting frame as that will determine how you mount the power head and design the drive.

These are my thoughts so far.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:51 pm

Hey AZ!
I am seeking asylum in Canada right now (see the history of AZ and Sylvester Mowry) with Rudi banging away at a keyboard next to me!.

At any rate I have found a huge variety of interesting stuff at government liquidation on the web. They contract sell federal surplus and it may take you a while to find exactly what you are looking for, but give it a try.

The link is http://www.govliquidation.com/ .

I got my M105A2 (1 1/2 ton trailer) for $200 and have seen a lot of interesting stuff on the site.

Good Luck!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:27 am

Harbor Frieght tools has a belt drive generator. Around $400 I think. I have thought of one to use with a TJD wisconsin I have.

Best,
Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:10 am

Try http://www.NorthernTool.com 1-800-533-5545. Northern Tool usually has several generator units that you can add to your power unit.

Eugene

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:26 am

Arizona Mike need update on your project. Thinking about doing the same but will use the P T O for drive
DAVE
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

Postby Arizona Mike » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:21 pm

Here is an interesting site that a friend told me about. I like this guys DIY approach, and the ST generator heads sound like a very good choice for the project. I have emailed George re the feasability of the UC-60 as a power source with the ST. Will get back with more info later. In the mean time check this web site 8)

http://utterpower.com/
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:41 pm

Very interesting Mike.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:52 pm

I've been looking that those heads also. 1800 rpm power head for an 1800 rpm engine, don't need drive belts!
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:01 pm

I am going with an 7.5KW ST Chinese made generator head. They are massive (340 lb) and look like they are the same vintage as the old power unit :D These are used as power supplys throughout third world countrys and are supposed to run forever with simple maintenance. They are, as Carl said, made to run at 1800 rpm max., but should turn at higher rpms without melting or flying apart :roll: ..that's what I'm told anyhoo

The 5 KW needs 12 hp. I think this power unit can deliver that at the flywheel. Would like to try the 7.5 KW head, but that one calls for 15 hp. What do you think?

Last edited by Arizona Mike on Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
George Willer

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:23 pm

You can install a larger power head, don't expect the engine to produce enough oomph to actually give you 7.5 kw for any length of time unless you increase the RPMs of the engine for more power. But the drawback is you'll have to run a belt drive to get 1800 RPMs at the power head. A heavier flywheel will store more energy to compensate for high momentary draws, like starting electric motors for pumping water or AC and such, without overwhelming the engine.

Those Lister diesels have piqued my interest as well. They look like a ton of fun!
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?pos=-22

Experimenting with the new Cub image server. Can't figure out how to post an image!
Hurray! Did it!
- Louis Pasteur

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:23 am

Hey guys just a warning!!!!!!

Make sure that the power head that you buy is 60 cycles....
Harbor freight & northern hydraulics both sold power heads that were only 40 cycles.....
Just make sure or the only power use is lights only as It will fry a motor.

PS: Where on planet earth is the country that uses 40 cycles I hvae heard of 30 cycles but not 40cycles??????????????
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:43 am

Here is the situation where speed up of RPM will help. Cycles are a product of speed or RPM. You would also need control of the exciter or field current too. If a generator gave 40 cycle at 1800 Rpm You cold get 60 cycle at 2400 RPM. Main question is will the bearings take the added speed. Most ball or roller bearings would. I guess most sleeve bearings would also.
Isn't Englsnd 50 cycles? Think I read that one time.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:12 am

Guys:

I have a question.... :roll: :shock: :lol: 8) :?

When most people talk about horsepower today :roll: , the lowest common denominator principle is applied correct :?:

In other words, for most people to understand, when horsepower requirements are quoted for equipment such as generator heads, those requirements would be quoted using the general understanding of Developed Horsepower such as is often quoted for Lawn and Garden or Portable Generators or Log Splitters and such.

This would be in actuallity an erroneous number especially when that quoted or spec'd requirement is used to determine the head size of a generator for a power unit such as the C-60.

At least this would be my understanding. :? :shock: :lol:

So, if lets say the 5kw head that Mike shows above would require a 12hp Briggs & Stratton, Honda or Tecumseh engine to power it. If that is the case, then we all know that the actual horese power is far less than the developed, which is the maximum hp capable under bench/no load testing. This however is not the real world. The C-60 should be able to handle the 5kw head and probably the 8kw head as well.

If I am not mistaken didn't one of our fellow Cubbers actually use an 8kw head in a previous project? :?:

My JD111 is a 20 hp engine and I know that there is no way it is going to pull my plow as easily or as effortlessly as Ellie will and according to the Developed Horsepwer ratings, the JD would appear to have twice the power available as Ellie would.

Now, I know, I probably opened up a can of worms.... but, the reason why I am asking is that Jethro will probably never run as a tractor again, and my current plan is to re-build and restore his C-60, all of the power train and the front axle and rear drop axles, but leave out the gearing at the rear end and only utilize the PTO. The front spindles and rear drop axle's will just be stationary mounting points so that Jethro can be setup under my deck in a covered unit to run as a backup power plant for my house... well at least that is the plan. :roll: :lol:

Clarification of this murky progression would be wonderful...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:58 am

A can of worms is right!!!!
A 5kw needs 12 horse to run it to start on most generator heads 5kw is the max surge voltage not the continuous out put.
So the 12 horse will run it easily.
A 5 horse Briggs makes 6.5 horse on a Dino loaded a 3200 rpm not the rated 3600 rpm.
Most are rated low because of CYA.
2nd is a single cyl eng. has 1 power stroke per 4 revaluations where as a 4 cyl has 4 power strokes per 1 revaluation this = a steady smooth power.
example if it takes 1 hp electric motor to run a saw (smooth contiguous power) it will take 5 to 6 hp for a internal combustion eng. to do the same.
This is a rule of thumb.

Last & not least is a 5kw gen. that you are only drawing 1 kw of power from will hardly use 12 hp but as draw increases more hp is needed to
keep up with the load & maintain the correct RPM which is needed for the correct # of cycles (60 cycles).
It is like when you use your buzz saw as you feed the wood to the blade the eng. gov. compensates for load & increases the fuel to maintain the correct RPM.
I think that a C60 eng. would run a 5kw head with ease.
Also remember that every bearing every point of friction uses hp up so less things moving the better.

Hope this helps!!
If it's been broken I did it.

If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”