This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Simplicity Landlord and Kohler cv23s

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Zorro
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01821
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
1968 Case 155
Scotts 1542
Cordwood Saw
CC 125
CC 102
CC 129/1200
Circle of Safety: Y

Simplicity Landlord and Kohler cv23s

Postby Zorro » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:23 pm

I picked up a Simplicity Landlord with a 54" deck for $350.00. The trouble is that it has a broken connecting rod which I knew about going into the deal. Everything on it looks good, and even if I have to buy a new engine, I feel that I am still right-side up with this machine. The p/o said his son was using the machine when all of a sudden there was a big loss in power. The p/o then sent it over to a shop where they found that one piston is not working. Happily there is no hole in the crankcase, so I'm hoping that I can just repair the engine. The oil was about half way on the dipstick, so that could mean bad things too. At any rate it runs as it is, but of course I won't try to run it again until I get the gizzards straight.
I'll get some pics posted soon.
Hold her Knute, she's headin' for the buckwheat!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Re: Simplicity Landlord and Kohler cv23s

Postby ricky racer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:29 pm

I bought a Grasshopper zero turn mower with a hole in the block from a broken rod. I replaced the damaged block with a new short block and have had years of use from it. Looking forward to seeing pictures. :wink:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Zorro
5+ Years
5+ Years
1968 Case 155
Scotts 1542
Cordwood Saw
CC 125
CC 102
CC 129/1200

Postby Zorro » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:05 pm

I was hoping to post some pics today, but the tractor is outside under a tarp right now and the temps are in the teens. I can't wait to get this thing in the garage, but I need to make some space first.

Zorro
5+ Years
5+ Years
1968 Case 155
Scotts 1542
Cordwood Saw
CC 125
CC 102
CC 129/1200

Postby Zorro » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:34 am

IMG_0860.JPG
Here is the inside of my Kohler. It's hard to tell much from this picture, but you can see some broken pieces of connecting rod. Happily, everything else looked okay except for the bearing that spun on the crankshaft. I was able to clean that up with some Easy-Off oven cleaner and some emery cloth. The oven cleaner is something I read about on a forum, and it helped to soften the aluminum bearing. The crank looks like new now. Some say to wash the crank with hot, soapy water, and others say to bake it at 200 degrees to draw the chemicals out of the metal. I'll probably do both, but I don't know how necessary it is. The parts are on order, and should arrive in a week or so.
I've never been this deep into an engine repair, but I have a good feeling about it. At the worst, I'll be out a hundred or so for the parts and back to square one with a busted engine. At best, I'll have a very nice Simplicity with a 54" mower deck ready to work this coming season.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”