This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

MF spreader question....

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dmacarthur
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 05344

MF spreader question....

Postby dmacarthur » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:54 pm

This is way off the Cub topic but there is so much accumulated knowledge here that...... I just bought a MF 110 PTO spreader (not to be pulled by the Cubs, but by green or orange tractors) which operates a bit differently than my old blue spreader. The feed chains are operated by a ratchet mechanism with dogs that engage in slots on a large drive wheel, and I do not see any immediate way that this is adjustable but I also can not see why the ratchet mechanism unless it is adjustable. Anyone had experience with spreaders that have a ratchet drive system? Thanks, and the Cubs are put away till next April.....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: MF spreader question....

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:08 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Massey-Ferguson ... 0556704670

Have your searched the internet for a free down load of the operator's and parts manual?

Edit: Both manuals can be purchased from various sites on the internet. Free down load would be better.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:45 pm

A lot of ground driven machines have a live axle with gears or sprockets to drive the mechanism. The axle is turned by both wheels via a ratchet mechanism at each wheel. The ratchets allow the two wheels to turn at different speeds when turning. I have no idea if this is what you are asking about.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:24 pm

By adjustable, do you mean the ratchet mechanism is used to engaged or disengage the spreader chain?

If so, check the ratchet mechanism for a lever to engage or disengage the spreader chain.
I have an excuse. CRS.

dmacarthur
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dmacarthur » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:06 pm

Thanks all- I have found manuals but only for the sort of $30 variety, no free downloads like the Cub stuff! And since this is not a ground driven machine, the chain drive does have an on-off mechanism but this mechanism does not seem to be adjustable, either it is driving the chain or not. I realize that this is a long shot, especially since I have posted no pictures, but some one somewhere is familiar with this machine! And I wll no doubt end up buying a manual in any case,...... Dan

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Check the ratchet mechanism closely. There should be something that limits the depth the ratchet arm engages the slots in the wheel. That will change the feed rate of the bed chain.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:09 pm

I'm not familiar with your Massey spreader, however, every PTO driven manure spreader I have used had a means to change the apron speed. I'm confident that your spreader has one also, it just is not readily apparent.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

dmacarthur
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dmacarthur » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:58 am

Further looking is required. Thanks all,.... Dan

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”