This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub 22 sickle here we go again....

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jkay
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30739

Cub 22 sickle here we go again....

Postby Jkay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:43 am

So I am still working on restoring this 22 mower and ran into a snag. I have blasted and painted everything and was putting it back together tonight when I noticed something. The outer shoe has of course a ledger plate riveted on it, well, mine looks backwards! It has serrated edge on one side and it is mounted with the serrated edge to the outside of the shoe. Now am I missing something? Shouldn't the cutting edge face inward toward the end section of the blade? I am too young to have fooled with sickle mowers, but something doesn't seem right. Any help?

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub 22 sickle here we go again....

Postby LeeC » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:04 pm

You are correct, the serrated edge should face inward.
Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub 22 sickle here we go again....

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:39 pm

That ledger plate is probably supposed to be installed on the head end of the bar. IIRC they are tapered front to back, wider in front. If you installed that ledger with the serrated edge to the inside it would not fit.

Most likely the ledger plate was on hand and used "in a pinch." Replacing ledger plates, and they didn't have the correct one, but they had this one. They couldn't take time for another trip to the dealer, and/or the dealer did not have the part, and the hay needed to be cut... Classic git-r-done.