This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

'55 4x4 jeep tractor

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

'55 4x4 jeep tractor

Postby BigBill » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:35 pm

My jeep tractor has a 6" lift kit. But with the lower subframe it's not high off the ground. Now my idea is to remove the 700-15 snow tires and install the adapters to bolt up the farmall rim centers and adding four 8.3x24 Ag tires or 10.2 x 24" AG tires? With the locking differentials with four duo-cross tire chains plus the fcub wheel weights it should rip a house down.

What's U think?

I welded truss bars on the differentials. The leaf springs are doubled. The tranny and differentials are heavier than an fcub?

I never stuck it yet but I been close in 4'++ of heavy deep snow with drifts.

She'll look like a swamp buggy with a snow plow.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: '55 4x4 jeep tractor

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:10 pm

BigBill, You need to have one of your sons (or someone) take and post some pictures of all these projects you've done. I, for one, would like to see them.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:27 pm

I did some really neat fabrication on the jeep frame. The frame in the front is boxed with 3/8" plate. The plow rails go under the front diff all the way to the rear spring perches. I have a mini duce and a half front bumper.
The rear of the frame is tripple boxed for the mini equlid rock body dump. The dump is 3/8" plate. I think it's good for the larger diameter tires.

This old Willys isn't done yet. She sits all summer and starts up every fall itchin to plow snow.

I went looking for a snow blower about 20 years ago and found this old time doodle bug jeep tractor. It came running with a four way plow for $400. When the paper thin frame rusted out I had a 70's jeep cj frame sitting here from my jeep days. With a cutting torch and an arc welder I added to the frame so it can't rust out in this century.

The misses isn't too happy the jeep tractor isn't a looker but she pushes snow.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:BigBill, You need to have one of your sons (or someone) take and post some pictures of all these projects you've done. I, for one, would like to see them.

Bob

:Dito: :Dito: :Dito: :Dito: :Dito: :Dito:
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 am

BigBill,
With wheels that big, you'll have to space them outward if you want to be able to turn very sharply. Also consider the added horsepower needed to turn wheels that are almost twice the diameter of the originals. You'll be putting a low more stress on the drivetrain. Do you have the original engine in it?
Jim

Circle of Safety

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:15 pm

It has the 134f head I think it's 75hp. She has plenty of low end grunt. I just need more ground clearance. The 8,3 x 24" tires may do it.

I have the wheel spacers to go from the 5.5" five lug to 5.5" five lug to get farther out on the locking hub front spindles. Then I have the 5.5" five lug to 4.5" five lug that fits the fcub rim centers. My point is as we know the rim centers in combination with the fcub rims gives us many combinations of the position of the tires. I should be able to adjust the wheel to wheel distance for the best steering clearance. I need to make sure I have plenty of clearance for the duo-cross chains I fabricate. The 5:38 gear ratio in low low is what was used in the ww 2 jeeps it's a crawl speed. She should be able to spin the larger thinner tires over the 33" 1250-15 swappers. I'll get more traction over the wider larger tires. The 700-15 tires on it know aren't much wider over the tractor tires. I baby it pushing snow any way. The higher ground clearance will allow me to take two passes in deeper snow rather than moving 4 or 5' of snow one shot. I'd rather not load the machine that much. I'm talking wet heavy blizzard northeast snow not the light fluffy snow. By the time a western blizzard gets here near the warm ocean water it makes the snow much heavier here in the northeast. I'm too old to shovel. I figure I'd build machines to do my work much easier.

Now I figure to add the heavy rock body dump on the rear with wheel weights front and rear. This is the max I can go. I think if I'm past what the drive train can handle the clutch may slip or a drive shaft will let go first.
But these older jeeps were built overkill strength wise.

Food for thought,

The newer wrangler differentials have 4.5" bolt circle with five lugs. The fcub rim centers are 4.5"bc with five lugs.

I often wondered if you cut the differentials and shortened the axles like using two steering differentials with four shorter side front axles you could fab a heavy duty little cadet sized tractor.??

If you go to yesterday's tractors picks of my jeep tractor are there but only two pics.
On our photo section there's pics of my duo- chains on my fcub.

Warning these chains are not to be used for back scratchers. The ice bars are really intense.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Then it's the tractor static standing weight vs the wheel weights too. I think having the wheel weights keeps the pressure off the axles? We want more weight for traction but it has its limits.

It's just fun to see it improve with each change.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:10 pm

needpics.gif
needpics.gif (41.63 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:58 pm

BigBill wrote:........It's just fun to see it improve with each change.
I'd like to share in the fun but I CAN'T SEE IT! until you post a picture.

RUSSALL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19344

Postby RUSSALL » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:31 am

Russ
1979 International Cub (Artie),193 plow,22 sickle mower,144 cultivator,54a blade,59" belly mower,wheel weights
1944 John Deere B , A-3 B-3 two way plow.....Grandpa's Deere,Still can't find his FARMALL A

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”