This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Working on my Osprey scooter

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Working on my Osprey scooter

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 31, 2014 10:02 pm

I have owned an Osprey 4410 heavy duty scooter for 5 years. It will run over 9 mph on level ground, and according to the manual can go over 30 miles on a charge, but I question that part. Has 13 inch tires which supposedly give it a 7 inch ground clearance, but they were creative in figuring that. I have been having a problem for a little while with it hesitating when I start out, and if traveling at low speed it seems to jerk or hesitate, as if it has a bad gear in the trans-axle. I use this thing a lot, and figured I had better look into it, though I don't think there is much of anyplace to get parts short of buying the entire trans-axle assembly, but I thought I would give it a try.

I removed the housing, seat, etc. and raised the rear up with my engine hoist, and set a stool under the rear of the swing arm and swung the swing arm down so I could remove the motor. I rigged up an adapter so I could run the trans-axle with my cordless drill, and the trans-axle ran smooth and quiet, so my next step was to dig into the electric motor.

That thing was a pain to take apart, and full of carbon dust from the brushes, what a mess. However, when I got it cleaned up, I found the problem, On two of the brushes, the wires were bent over the side of the holder, and were so heavy they were keeping the brushes from making good contact on the armature.

Cleaned the armature, and got it all back together and everything works great. Started at 10:30 this morning, took off an hour and a half for lunch and later supper, and finished at 6:30 pm. Long day, but it works great now.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Working on my Osprey scooter

Postby Donegal Cub » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:07 am

So it turned out to be a simple solution John, those are the best kind :{_}: :{_}:
Enjoy :D
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Simple solution, but a bear to get to and reassemble. Reassembling is where the fun comes in. The motor has 6 mounting holes, but only 3 are used, but it can be turned such that any 3 of the six can be used. Each end plate can be attached in 2 positions, and the brake on the end of the motor has 3 possible positions, but also has to be mounted in a specific one. None of these are indexed or marked. I marked all of them before removal, but part of the marks subbed off due to the amount of handling, cleaning, etc. I had to reassemble by holding it behind where it mounted and assembling each piece so the disconnect rod, wiring harness, etc. lined up right then putting it all back in the trans-axle. Must have done it close to right, since it all works.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Patience and persistence pays off! Great to get your mobility back to full speed.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:43 am

Bill Hudson wrote:.....Great to get your mobility back to full speed.
Bill
Now if I can figure out how to get me back to full speed. :lol:

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”