This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Winch Ready To Try Out.

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

New Winch Ready To Try Out.

Postby ricky racer » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:33 pm

If you recall I recently purchased a 3000# winch at Rural King when they were on sale. My intent was to use it to load non-running Cubs or other equipment that I might buy from time to time. In the past I used a come-a-long to load that kind of stuff.

I needed to make it so I could move it from trailer to trailer so after some thought I decided a chain on hook up would be the best for my application. I took a piece of 10 ga. steel and made a 90 degree bend in it to mount the winch to and supply a place to mount a small box to make my wire connection in. I welded 2 chains 12" in length to the plate. I added 2 grab hooks with clevis pins which I can move to any location on the chains and replaced the cotter pins used to secure the clevis pins with hair pins for easy removal so moving the hooks to different locations will be quick and simple.

To supply power to the winch I had a trailer pig tail that I bought at a garage sale years ago not knowing what I'd ever do with it. By unplugging the trailer from my truck I can plug the pig tail into the truck 7 pin connector and I should be good to go. I haven't tried it out yet but I have little doubt it will work.

I went to an auction today hoping I would be trying it out but came home pretty much empty handed at least no tractor. :roll:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: New Winch Ready To Try Out.

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:56 pm

ricky racer wrote:To supply power to the winch I had a trailer pig tail that I bought at a garage sale years ago not knowing what I'd ever do with it. By unplugging the trailer from my truck I can plug the pig tail into the truck 7 pin connector and I should be good to go. I haven't tried it out yet but I have little doubt it will work.

Check the current requirement of the winch vs. the fused limit of your 7 pin connection.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:05 pm

The electric winches that I've been around are power greedy wire melters!!!! ---they gotta have some BIG wires,---(like starter cables) be careful with it! thanks; sonny

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:08 pm

I'll have to take a closer look at that. Thanks guy's.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:44 pm

Seeing this remind3ed me of a post on yesterdays Tractors where a guy asked about renting a wench. Needless to say, he got a lot of non-helpful answers about rented wenches.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:21 pm

I like your design for being portable, Ricky.... :applause:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”